Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shannonclare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Hi. I accidently moved my iphoto library and then moved it back and now iphoto won't work. It just spins and spins for hours without me ever being able to view any pictures or worse, download any pictures from my digital camera. I know that my Mac handbooks says something about never moving the iphoto library, but there must be some way to repair this. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this? Is iphoto destined to ruin my photographic life?

Thanks

Shannon

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try starting iPhoto holding down shift-option (if it's iPhoto 4), or opt-cmd if it's iPhoto 5 or 6. If it's 5-6, you may get a dialog asking you what you want to do, and one of the options may be locating your database. If you get that option, just navigate to it. If not, then do the rebuild option.

And without scolding, let me tell you that this is a lesson in Apple mentality. DO NOT try to outsmart any Apple application whose function it is to organize some aspect of your life (i.e. iCal, AdBk, or any iLife app). Don't move the files around. Don't futz with them. Let the app do its job and you'll love it. If you have OCD, just make yourself not look in folders like ~/pictures or ~/music so that it won't bother you. Every week there are a dozen threads complaining about things like this. I went through this when I got a Mac too. It works SO much better if you just close your eyes and let these things work the way the app designers want them to, and focus on more important things like taking photos and enjoying music. If you just let the application do its job, you and it will both be happy... or else of course switch to Windows! ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
First, make a backup of your photo folder, just in case. You can easily make a copy by holding down the option key and draging the folder elsewhee.

Next, you can try to rebuild the iPhoto library. How you do that depends on the iPhoto version, details are on this page.

See if that works first, before trying anything more involved.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
when i deleted my iPhoto library file, the next time i opened iPhoto, it asked me if i wanted to make a new one, and i clicked "create new library" or something similar to those words. make sure you have a backup of all your photos, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.