Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Newbie question here...I'm a new mac owner and really dig the iLife apps like iPhoto. But now I installed Adobe CS4 Web Premium to learn graphic & web design and find I'm starting to like Adobe Bridge for handling my photos a lot more than iPhoto. What do most of you use?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Newbie question here...I'm a new mac owner and really dig the iLife apps like iPhoto. But now I installed Adobe CS4 Web Premium to learn graphic & web design and find I'm starting to like Adobe Bridge for handling my photos a lot more than iPhoto. What do most of you use?

I use Apple Aperture, but many more use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I find iPhoto to be too basic and Bridge to be too clunky.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I use Bridge. iPhoto is not even installed on my computer, and I don't care for the Lightroom/Aperture solution.

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
If you have a lot of photos I think Lightroom or Aperture are better than Bridge. I use Lightroom myself, mainly because of its cross-platform nature.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Seconded the Aperture/Lightroom approach. I use LR myself but Aperture is great (and more capable than LR in a few areas such as editing filter support).

Bridge is nice, but it's not really a complete DAM management tool like Aperture or Lightroom is. iPhoto wasn't designed for any serious DAM.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Personally, I use a combination of iPhoto and Aperture.

Aperture does the majority of my photo management and editing. However I enjoy using iPhoto (in conjunction with shared Aperture libraries) to create events which are generally family or friend occasions. iPhoto makes it easy to create slideshows which impress the family without spending a lot of time on them.

I also enjoy the organisation of 'faces' for friends and family. iPhoto is a really nice photo sandbox.

However Aperture is the workplace of choice for me.

Having said that, the recent decision by Scott Bourne to take move from Aperture to Lightroom (for new work) for a year is leaving me eager to see his conclusions.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I downloaded some pics from my digital camera into iPhoto and when I try to open one in Photoshop the iPhoto icon in my pictures folders is dimmed so I can't select it. How do open iPhoto pics in photoshop to edit them? Thanks in advance for answering this newbie question.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I downloaded some pics from my digital camera into iPhoto and when I try to open one in Photoshop the iPhoto icon in my pictures folders is dimmed so I can't select it. How do open iPhoto pics in photoshop to edit them? Thanks in advance for answering this newbie question.

This is the way I set the "Preferences" (found in the iPhoto's menu, top left):

Open preferences, and then designate PhotoShop as the editing application. If you do this correctly, when you select any of the photos in iPhoto and then click on "Edit" at the bottom of the screen, PhotoShop automatically launches and opens the photo for you to edit.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
This is the way I set the "Preferences" (found in the iPhoto's menu, top left):

Open preferences, and then designate PhotoShop as the editing application. If you do this correctly, when you select any of the photos in iPhoto and then click on "Edit" at the bottom of the screen, PhotoShop automatically launches and opens the photo for you to edit.

It worked! I just wished there was a way to open them by browsing to the folder from photoshop instead!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd go with Lightroom over bridge/ps.

Lightroom has cataloging/organization features over bridge and its editing is non-destructive. Not so in PS. The application is really been designed from the ground up with photographers in mind and it shows.

Just my $.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.