Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
iPhoto is essentially a photo viewer, with a few very basic extras thrown in to help you touch up your photos (i.e. sepia, etc). Its not a photo editor. You'll want to get Photoshop CS for that job, or some equivalent

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
brepublican said:
iPhoto is essentially a photo viewer, with a few very basic extras thrown in to help you touch up your photos (i.e. sepia, etc). Its not a photo editor. You'll want to get Photoshop CS for that job, or some equivalent

Well, Photoshop CS would definitely be overkill for adding text. ;) Even Photoshop Elements might be, but look into it, as well as various freeware alternatives. GIMP might be able to do what you're looking for as well.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Bring out the GIMP???

I'm not looking to spend any money. I was just looking for away to add text to jpegs. So if you know of a free program that will do this, please let me know.

And I think its stupid iPhoto doesn't have this ability. There are some nice fonts in iPhoto I would want to use. Apple needs to benchmark MS Paint :D .

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I haven't tried this, but what might work as a very roundabout way of doing it is to export the photo into iMovie, and use iMovie's "Title" effects in it that let you add text.

Then you just have to figure out how to get it back. I think you would probably need to save it as a movie, then copy a "frame" out. Not sure what the resulting resolution might be, though.

FWIW, I think that I'd be more inclined to look around for a friend with a dSLR who already owns Photoshop, to see if his camera shipped with a copy of Photoshop Elements that he isn't using.

-hh

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
~Shard~ said:
Well, Photoshop CS would definitely be overkill for adding text. ;) Even Photoshop Elements might be, but look into it, as well as various freeware alternatives. GIMP might be able to do what you're looking for as well.
Well, sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns. Every tried killing a fly with a shotgun? It most definitely works!! :D :D

JK. Gimp gets my vote too.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
brepublican said:
Well, sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns. Every tried killing a fly with a shotgun? It most definitely works!! :D :D

JK. Gimp gets my vote too.

Oh yeah, nothing wrong with brute force... :D ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.