Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello,

I've bought myself a D50, and since then everybody has been telling me to shoot raw. My first question is, can iphoto convert RAW photos into jpeg? Sorry if I am unclear, or confusing to understand, I don't know a great deal about RAW.

Secondly, what are the advantages of RAW over jpeg?

Cheers.

Eric D.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Hello,

I've bought myself a D50, and since then everybody has been telling me to shoot raw. My first question is, can iphoto convert RAW photos into jpeg? Sorry if I am unclear, or confusing to understand, I don't know a great deal about RAW.

Secondly, what are the advantages of RAW over jpeg?

Cheers.

Eric D.

In short, from an amateur who tried RAW and went back to jpg -- RAW has a lot more photo data, so you can better post process (like, bring back images in shadow, for example). You can post process a RAW on a more customized basis than a jpg, because RAW is not compressed. However, you'll eventually want to create a jpg, and that leads to the downside -- you HAVE to post-process RAW. And, at first, you'll be startled by the seeming lesser condition of the RAW compared to a JPG of the same picture. Just remember RAW is UNPROCESSED. So, you've got to do now what your camera would have done (e.g. sharpness, noise reduction, etc.). I decided (for me) I didn't have the time/desire.

If you think image quality is really important for you, then don't be discouraged, take some time to learn how to use RAW, and as long as you don't mind putting in the effort, you might be able to get better pictures.

iPhoto will convert RAW formats that OSX supports. There's more detail to that statement, but suffice it to say that Aperture or Lightroom will help you handle RAW much better than iPhoto. Ap and LR have much more advanced developing tools to do all the processing referenced above. If you aren't sure you want to pay for Ap or LR, you can download a free 30 day trial. I only use iPhoto, but when I was trying RAW, I trialed Ap and LR, and it was clear immediately the power they provide you when working with RAW.

Good luck

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
Hmm so, I just shot a shot by raw. I tried editing with iphoto, but after I click done, the edits are there, but it's still raw.
Is it just suppose to be raw?

Thanks

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
So i tried exporting the raw file into jpeg with maximum quality.

However when i do that. the exif data is gone.
Am i doing something wrong?

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
So i tried exporting the raw file into jpeg with maximum quality.

However when i do that. the exif data is gone.
Am i doing something wrong?

No. The jpeg is a new file generated by iphoto, not your camera...it doesn't have any exif.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
No. The jpeg is a new file generated by iphoto, not your camera...it doesn't have any exif.

just because it's not from the camera doesn't mean there is no exif. typically, only certain actions strip exif data, like saving for web in Photoshop.

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
just because it's not from the camera doesn't mean there is no exif. typically, only certain actions strip exif data, like saving for web in Photoshop.

I thought processing in iphoto was one of those instances... I never used the program, deleted it the same week I got the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.