Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Apologies if this is obvious but I'm new to iPhoto. Is there any way to selectively import from a folder, viewing the photos and just selecting the ones I want to import?
Example ; I might have many hundred's photos on a memory card, I'd like to view them and them import just the 'keepers' into iPhoto. At the moment I import everything and then remove the ones I don't want, which apart from anything else potentially ends up with a bunch of stuff in Time Machine I dont want.
Or is this the sort of function that Lightroom or Aperture will charge a couple hundred dollars for and so isn't in iPhoto?
If so I guess I"ll have to use another app (Preview?) to view the folder beforehand, delete the ones I don't want, and then import.
Seems like bit of a faff and a basic editing task iPhoto should be able to do?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Preview has a slideshow facility, you can open a folder, select all, open them in preview, view images as a slideshow(view menu, I think, I'm on a PC at the mo) then go through the slides, there's an icon at the bottom of the slides that adds to iphoto, click that on the pics you want and once you're finished iphoto will open and import selected pics.
Alternatively you can use the Image Capture app to import images and have that send them to iphoto.

Alan

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Apologies if this is obvious but I'm new to iPhoto. Is there any way to selectively import from a folder, viewing the photos and just selecting the ones I want to import?
Example ; I might have many hundred's photos on a memory card, I'd like to view them and them import just the 'keepers' into iPhoto. At the moment I import everything and then remove the ones I don't want, which apart from anything else potentially ends up with a bunch of stuff in Time Machine I dont want.
Or is this the sort of function that Lightroom or Aperture will charge a couple hundred dollars for and so isn't in iPhoto?
If so I guess I"ll have to use another app (Preview?) to view the folder beforehand, delete the ones I don't want, and then import.
Seems like bit of a faff and a basic editing task iPhoto should be able to do?

If you plug in a camera or (I think) a card reader, you can see the images in iPhoto before import, and then command-click the ones you want. No such luck in a folder.

But, if there is are only -- for instance -- two photos you know you want to import from a folder, you can command-click them, and then drag them over the iphoto icon on the dock, let go and it imports only those two.

If importing from the import menu command w/in iPhoto, make sure you have the "columns" view clicked, and you can at least see a tiny thumbnail of the photo you want to import. Then command-click the ones you want to bring in and leave the rest.

Having said all that, if they are jpgs, I just import the whole shoot, and use iPhoto to cull the good from the bad. The interface for viewing pics in iPhoto is so much easier and cleaner than preview, IMO. Except maybe just using finder with coverflow (haven't done much of that before. That might be a way to go).

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Thanks folks the preview idea looks good, either as stated or just opening them all in one window, working down the pictures on the left hand side (with large image on rh) and deleting what I don't want and then importing the rest.
Coverflow might also work but unfortunately I seem to have this bug where jpegs wont display in coverflow (I just see a generic JPEG icon). Some people report a reboot fixes that so I will try that later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.