Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I have downloaded the trial version of adobe photoshop and when I go to file to open iphoto it says there is a problem in the program and it cannot open. What do I need to do?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Why would you try to open iPhoto with Photoshop?
iPhoto is already an application??

Can you give a clear explanation of what you are trying to do exactly? :confused:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
adobe photoshop

I am trying to put a photo in the bin so I can play with the program and I went to file, open, clicked on iphoto and this message came up "could not complete request because of program error". I am just trying to get pictures in the bin.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Sounds like you are trying to browse iPhoto by opening the iPhoto application from within Photoshop, which is not what you want to do. Instead within Photoshop go to File / Open, then on the left hand side under Media, select Photos, that should then allow you to browse your iPhoto albums/events and open the photo of choice.

Note: you may need to expand the file / open dialog to see all the options.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I see this is your first thread here at MacRumors Forums. I would like to be the first to welcome you here and thank you for taking your time to post and be a member.
I still don't understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to open a photo you have in an iPhoto Event in Photoshop. To do this you should click File>Open and click on Photos. I think this is the step that you are getting to. When you click on Photos, does it say something like open iPhoto 5 or later to view the photos? If it does then you have not created an iPhoto Library or there is not a iPhoto Library in iPhoto. So open iPhoto, and a window should pop up that has options to Quit, Choose iPhoto, and Create New Library. If you have an old iPhoto library want to import into iPhoto then you need to find it in... you guessed it, Finder! It will import the photos you had. If you want to create a new library then click create new Library and it will open a blank Library. I hope I could help and if you have any more questions just post them here and we will try and answer them.

Happy New Year,
David

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I got iphoto to open and I have the pictures up but I cannot get them to the bin. when I click and try to drag the pictures go away.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
What do you mean to the bin? The only bin I can think of is the Trash bin in the dock...

If you click and drag a photo in iPhoto and drop it on the Photoshop icon in the dock then it will open that photo in Photoshop.

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I got iphoto to open and I have the pictures up but I cannot get them to the bin. when I click and try to drag the pictures go away.

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
the project bin - that is where you have to put the photos to play with them - at least that is what I understand

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Project bin? huh? What project bin are you talking about? In what program?

Follow either of the two methods above to edit photos in Photoshop that you have stored in iPhoto.

DPA

macrumors 65816

Seriously, WHAT/WHERE IS THE PROJECT BIN? There are like a hundred things that I can think of that could be considered project bins in a million different applications. Please use Grab and include a screenshot of what you are talking about.;)

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I am using Photoshop Elements and the Project Bin Actions is at the bottom of the page. I used the method of dragging the photo and it worked. I am on another issue right now. I made a Christmas slide show in Keynote sent it to imovie so I could edit the music like I wanted to but I did not adjust the size in keynote and the slides are too big. Can I adjust the size in imovie. I am such a beginner and I appreciate all the help.

cvernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
imovie expert? -

imovie question - need to change the size to fit the screen

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
I have downloaded the trial version of adobe photoshop and when I go to file to open iphoto it says there is a problem in the program and it cannot open. What do I need to do?

You need "Adobe Bridge" to act as an intermediary between PE and iPhoto. Why? I don't know! Before I switched to Mac several months ago, I was able to import photos on my PC into PE directly from any file containing photos. On the Mac when using PE you must go to File>Browse with Bridge>Pictures>iPhoto>click image>edit (be sure PE is listed as the editor of choice in iPhoto Preferences). You will now have the image in your project bin. The Mac way seems laborious, but you get accustomed to it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
With my apps, I will just drag a photo from iPhoto to the Photoshop icon in the dock. Photoshop opens, I can make adjustments (most often brightness, color, and red-eye) and then save it. It's fixed in iPhoto, so yay.

Someone mentioned Bridge, so maybe that's why I can do that. I have CS3, which I'm pretty sure comes with Bridge. I didn't even know what that product was for. I thought it had something to do with crossing rivers.

ricekrispykatie

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
I've got a different type of problem related to this...

I can't open photos from iphoto in photoshop - i have to move them from iphoto onto my desktop in order to open them in photoshop. When I hit File>Open in Photoshop, I get a screen that looks like this:

Picture2.png

Instead of the standard open dialog box I get on most programs where iPhoto had its own icon on the left hand side like this:

Picture1-2.png

If I click on "Pictures" then "iPhoto Library," the open dialog box just disappears. I've had Photoshop for awhile and this just recently started happening - did I accidentally switch to a different view or something?

-Thanks!
: D

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I've got a different type of problem related to this...

I can't open photos from iphoto in photoshop - i have to move them from iphoto onto my desktop in order to open them in photoshop. When I hit File>Open in Photoshop, I get a screen that looks like this:

See that button at the bottom left that says "Use OS dialog", click that! ;)

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
You need "Adobe Bridge" to act as an intermediary between PE and iPhoto. Why? I don't know! Before I switched to Mac several months ago, I was able to import photos on my PC into PE directly from any file containing photos. On the Mac when using PE you must go to File>Browse with Bridge>Pictures>iPhoto>click image>edit (be sure PE is listed as the editor of choice in iPhoto Preferences). You will now have the image in your project bin. The Mac way seems laborious, but you get accustomed to it.

Just drag the photo to your PSE icon and it will launch with the photo.

You can also right click on a jpg, and say "open with" and have it open in PSE. You can also select "other" at the bottom of the "open with" dialog box and select "always open with" PSE.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Just drag the photo to your PSE icon and it will launch with the photo.

You can also right click on a jpg, and say "open with" and have it open in PSE. You can also select "other" at the bottom of the "open with" dialog box and select "always open with" PSE.

biking1000, thank you! Yes, all 3 methods that you described work a lot easier than the Adobe Bridge method - the only method that I was familiar with. So, there are 4 ways of importing iPhotos into the Photoshop Elements project bin! Are there any other ways?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
biking1000, thank you! Yes, all 3 methods that you described work a lot easier than the Adobe Bridge method - the only method that I was familiar with. So, there are 4 ways of importing iPhotos into the Photoshop Elements project bin! Are there any other ways?

Yes, from within iPhoto. While in iPhoto, go to iPhoto preferences, and set "edit photo in" to external editor, and then you choose PSE. While I'm there, I also select Double-clicking edits photo. Close out preferences and double click a photo. You'll see it launches PSE with your iPhoto photo. Close that out and go back into iPhoto preferences, and select "edit photo" in full screen.

Now, when you are in iPhoto, you can edit photos one of two ways -- you can double click, and edit within iPhoto (for simple stuff like cropping, red-eye, etc.) or you can RIGHT CLICK on a photo, and choose the menu choice "edit in external editor", and it will launch your photo right into PSE.

After your edits from within PSE, close the photo and it will prompt you to save. Accept it's default location, and the saved jpg will show up in iPhoto again.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.