Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
I am running 10.4.8 on a powerbook 15' and I have a Canon Powershot A640.

iPhoto takes the pictures but then it won't import the movies I have on the camera. I read in the Help that iPhoto will import movies and let you open them with Quicktime but iPhoto won't even import the movie for me to open it with Quicktime.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
what version of iPhoto do you have?
you might be able to get them on your computer with iMovie.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I've never had trouble importing movies from my Canon SD110, but before iPhoto was able to import videos (which doesn't really seem all that useful) I used Image Capture. Maybe that'll work for you.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
How long are the movies and are you importing with a USB2 reader?

A minute long movie on my old Elph would take so long that it either seemed like it wasn't downloading or the process actually terminated after awhile (I can't recall which - it may have been working, but I believe I would give us or hit stop import after a bit). With a USB2 set up, it still takes awhile to import movies, but much quicker.

So, it may be working - albeit, very slowly - let's eliminate the download speed issue.

A test as well - shoot something very brief - a 3 second movie - on a card (no other movies) and try to import and see if that makes it.

cherfizzle

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Waterford, New York
I am running 10.4.8 on a powerbook 15' and I have a Canon Powershot A640.

iPhoto takes the pictures but then it won't import the movies I have on the camera. I read in the Help that iPhoto will import movies and let you open them with Quicktime but iPhoto won't even import the movie for me to open it with Quicktime.

import it to your desktop then import it into iphoto after.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
I've never had trouble importing movies from my Canon SD110, but before iPhoto was able to import videos (which doesn't really seem all that useful) I used Image Capture. Maybe that'll work for you.

Dude, it worked perfectly with Image Capture. I imported it to my desktop using Image Capture. Thanks alot! You rock!

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
How long are the movies and are you importing with a USB2 reader?

A minute long movie on my old Elph would take so long that it either seemed like it wasn't downloading or the process actually terminated after awhile (I can't recall which - it may have been working, but I believe I would give us or hit stop import after a bit). With a USB2 set up, it still takes awhile to import movies, but much quicker.

So, it may be working - albeit, very slowly - let's eliminate the download speed issue.

A test as well - shoot something very brief - a 3 second movie - on a card (no other movies) and try to import and see if that makes it.
The movie was just over 4 minutes and I was importing it directly from the camera through a USB connection. It seemed like it was importing in iPhoto, but then it just quit and stop importing. I think it did stop because it was taking so long, but I want to know why it stops rather than keep going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.