Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csm2501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Im fairly new to the Mac and am trying to use iPhoto to organize my photos. Im not a professional in any way I just take pics of family vacation and etc. My question is why, when i edit a photo does it keep the original in one place but then put the modified photos in another? This basically creates 2 copies of one photo right? This seems like potentially a huge waste of hard drive space. What do ya'll think?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I like it. You can edit a photo all you want, always knowing the original is only one click away. It's especially handy when you consider that as time progresses, editing algorithms become more accurate (with less loss of quality), so you can potentially re-edit photos from the past with better results.

Plus, photos take only a few megabytes each, and HDs hold hundreds of gigabytes. In other words, the extra storage space is nominal.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I also liked that iPhoto kept my original intact. but yes, it does take a lot of space, and even more space if you shoot RAW because iPhoto would automatically create a new jpg along w/ the RAW file.

I was eventually drowning in files, so I upgraded to Aperture.

But iPhoto was good for my needs at the time.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Im fairly new to the Mac and am trying to use iPhoto to organize my photos. Im not a professional in any way I just take pics of family vacation and etc. My question is why, when i edit a photo does it keep the original in one place but then put the modified photos in another? This basically creates 2 copies of one photo right? This seems like potentially a huge waste of hard drive space. What do ya'll think?

Huge waste? Let's see. I just bought a 1TB disk for $150. if your image files are 1MB then it costs $0.000150 to store one file. If you had 10,000 images the "wasted" space costs $1.50 OK maybe I'm wrong and you have 4MB files, so then it cost six bucks. Not a big deal either way.

Think of the original un-modified files are your "negaties". I think it's a great feature to know that you can always "un-do" any mistakes in image adjustment or editing. $3 is a small price to pay for a safety net lke that.

You aremaking backups? Isthis a "huge waste of space"? No, I'd say the more copies the better. Disks are cheap.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Huge waste? Let's see. I just bought a 1TB disk for $150. if your image files are 1MB then it costs $0.000150 to store one file. If you had 10,000 images the "wasted" space costs $1.50 OK maybe I'm wrong and you have 4MB files, so then it cost six bucks. Not a big deal either way.

Think of the original un-modified files are your "negaties". I think it's a great feature to know that you can always "un-do" any mistakes in image adjustment or editing. $3 is a small price to pay for a safety net lke that.

You aremaking backups? Isthis a "huge waste of space"? No, I'd say the more copies the better. Disks are cheap.

Do you back up this new 1TB disk? I bet that's USB as well, which is awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.