Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviet3008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
I brought my lad a 6th gen ipod (second hand) for his birthday

well the battery has a slight issue, it has 50% charge and when i turn it off and back on again it goes down to 20%

and the opposite way round when its on 20% i stick it on charge and it shoots straight up to 50 odd % and gets to 100 within minutes

Any tips?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Not sure, but can it display battery health in Settings like on iPhone? Otherwise there's apps on iOS that can check your battery, or you can use CoconutBattery on a Mac, connect it via Lightning.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I brought my lad a 6th gen ipod (second hand) for his birthday

well the battery has a slight issue, it has 50% charge and when i turn it off and back on again it goes down to 20%

and the opposite way round when its on 20% i stick it on charge and it shoots straight up to 50 odd % and gets to 100 within minutes

Any tips?

Battery defect

steviet3008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Not sure, but can it display battery health in Settings like on iPhone? Otherwise there's apps on iOS that can check your battery, or you can use CoconutBattery on a Mac, connect it via Lightning.
Hi no it doesnt show battery health on the ipod, which app would you suggest as i dont have a mac, tbh i brought another ipod 6th gen prior to this one and it had the same problem so i took it back and then i got this one (same problem), when you turn it off and switch it back on it goes to 20% after about 5 minutes it goes back to the original battery percentage (only a guess as i cant seem to display battery percentage on the ipod) could it be a software update issue?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi no it doesnt show battery health on the ipod, which app would you suggest as i dont have a mac, tbh i brought another ipod 6th gen prior to this one and it had the same problem so i took it back and then i got this one (same problem), when you turn it off and switch it back on it goes to 20% after about 5 minutes it goes back to the original battery percentage (only a guess as i cant seem to display battery percentage on the ipod) could it be a software update issue?

It does sound like the battery is defective, but I'm not too sure because it's kind of vague.

You could rule out software issues by simply reinstalling iOS.

Is it a second hand iPod?

steviet3008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
It does sound like the battery is defective, but I'm not too sure because it's kind of vague.

You could rule out software issues by simply reinstalling iOS.

Is it a second hand iPod?
Yes 2nd hand from a shop called cex may just return it then

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Mine does that, too yet I get 20 hours of straight music listening. As far as I can ell, nothing’s wrong.

IPod Touch battery percentage display is not accurate or reliable. There are apps you can download that are more accurate but most don’t work in iOS 12.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I've now sold mine and moved to an SE. Battery life still not brilliant but I think good enough to be usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.