Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I was going through my old desk in our finished basement, and found this. My son has been living down there for the last two years while going to Wake Tech. He just moved to one of our rental properties in Raleigh by NC State where he is a junior this year. He left this beautiful little green iPod Nano 3rd gen...and best of all, he said I could keep it.
excited.gif
Been using it for going on 2 hours now, and it's still showing over 90%. Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps behaving this way. If it ends up needing a new battery, I've seen it only takes about 10 minutes to replace it.

How nostalgic. The thing works perfectly, and the old scroll wheel is just charming. I had several generations of the Nano and I miss the Settings and UI. Just feels smooth, silky, and sexy in the hand. The sound is soooo good with the old EarPods...I am surprised at how good Dream On by Aerosmith sounds. This thing gets a lot louder than my iPhone 13PM, and has a bunch of equalizer presets. To be honest, everything sounds good for the past two hours on my cool new/old iPad Nano.:cool:

The first two photos are almost an hour apart. Seems to have pretty good battery life...considering it was released Sept. 2007. 17 years ago...:oops:

IMG_9041.jpg
IMG_9044.jpg
IMG_9054.jpg

Last edited:

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Just reset to factory settings. Gonna have fun setting it up and making it mine. Been a long time since I spent any amount of time with iTunes. I am very happy with my find. Looking forward to going to my workout at the Y with it tomorrow.
strong_muscle.gif
200w.gif
Going to get an armband case/holder for it. Should get some looks.

IMG_9045.jpg
IMG_9053.jpg
IMG_9052.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-20 231003.png
Screenshot 2024-08-20 232117.png

Screenshot 2024-08-21 000030.png
Screenshot 2024-08-21 002320.png

Last edited:

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024
I still have the 1st gen 10GB iPod (scroll wheel) that I was given around the end of the iPod era. Every now and then I'm tempted to replace the battery.

Reactions: bondr006

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
These 'new' classics will be real, but will consist of original motherboards in new cases. All components except the motherboard are available to buy. The fit of the pieces may not be as smooth as the Apple originals. Whether they are good value depends on the quality of the components used. Some use original (old) hard drives, others use solid state alternatives. Doing it yourself may be more cost-effective, and certainly gives more control over the components. You need to be careful not to get a 6th Gen motherboard if you want to use more than 128GB of storage. Currently 7th Gen iPods seem to sell for $50-$100 on Ebay.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
These 'new' classics will be real, but will consist of original motherboards in new cases. All components except the motherboard are available to buy. The fit of the pieces may not be as smooth as the Apple originals. Whether they are good value depends on the quality of the components used. Some use original (old) hard drives, others use solid state alternatives. Doing it yourself may be more cost-effective, and certainly gives more control over the components. You need to be careful not to get a 6th Gen motherboard if you want to use more than 128GB of storage. Currently 7th Gen iPods seem to sell for $50-$100 on Ebay.
Thanks! I'll do some more looking before I decide what to do. I really want a 7th gen iPod Classic.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2022
So sad when I broke my iPod video. iPod Nano 6th gen tided me over until I got an iPhone. What a time to be alive.

Reactions: bondr006

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I had Nanos like the one in the pictures. As I recall the clickwheel was seriously finicky when used with moist fingers. Broke one during a sweaty workout in a fit when it dared to crank the volume all the way up all by itself. 😇

The other one died by way of a swollen battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.