Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a fresh new iPod lineup this year

• Total voters

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
So just last year Apple released a new iPod lineup on July 15, 2015. The iPod touch got internal upgrades while the iPod Nano and the Shuffle only got color upgrades. So in this conversation we will talk what we want and improve with the new iPod lineup which will either be released later this year or next year.

What Apple should add and improve:
iPod touch - Touch ID, better speaker with less distortion and better bass response, and dual microphones at the top.
iPod nano - New operating system (which I think should be called "nanOS") and maybe a speaker. 32 GB option. Bring the click wheel back. Gaming.
iPod shuffle - Should be discontinued, since there is no purpose to it.
images
images
images
images

Reactions: alexalas

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I used an iPod shuffle at work when I was doing Computer hardware testing. It was so light I didn't even know it was there. They definitely have a purpose.

Unfortunately, iPod business has dropped to nearly nil these days. You won't see refreshes every year anymore. Apple doesn't even update the Mac nearly enough, and it's a much larger piece of the pie. It's all about iPhones and iPads right now.

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
I used an iPod shuffle at work when I was doing Computer hardware testing. It was so light I didn't even know it was there. They definitely have a purpose.

Unfortunately, iPod business has dropped to nearly nil these days. You won't see refreshes every year anymore. Apple doesn't even update the Mac nearly enough, and it's a much larger piece of the pie. It's all about iPhones and iPads right now.
Right now I use an iPod touch 6th generation and it is awesome, but the battery life sucks, so I have to live with that. There are a lot of purposes for an iPod touch, like using it to test new jailbreaks, testing out developer betas so I can see if they're stable on my iPhone, or maybe for kids who aren't old enough to get a phone.

And I agree with the iPod shuffle, I only said it has no purpose because Apple might begin to move away from physical buttons.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I just wish they'd bring back the clickwheel version. Discontinuing it because they couldn't get the drives any more is a pretty poor excuse when people happily upgrade them with SSDs. Not sure why they couldn't have done a Flash version of the Classic, potentially with even larger storage for big libraries. Just a dedicated Apple device for music.

If they're going to stay down the route of an iPod Touch, at least concentrate on the music element and work backwards from there. Namely:

1) Make the music app intuitive and simple. Stuff like large buttons for scrubbing. Easy interface to navigate albums/playlists/songs.

2) Ensure the battery life is great.

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
If Apple comes out with a new iPod nano that hosts an upgraded OS, more storage, etc., that would appeal to me but I'd prefer they keep calendar and contact functions as well. Those exclusions are why I passed on the (6th and 7th generations) touchscreen iPod nano. It disappointed me last year that Apple gave the iPod nano only color changes rather than a full overhaul. Perhaps they'll come out with an iPod nano/Touch hybrid - simplified iPod touch?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I've said this before but I'll say it again.

iPod shuffle updated to larger storage sizes hopefully at least 8Gb, but I'd like to see 16Gb. Get rid of the 3.5mm jack and put in lightning jack instead. New lightning EarPods and lightning to USB-C cable for charging/syncing.

iPod Nano updated to larger storage sizes (hopefully 64GB but maybe only 32Gb) and get ditch the 3.5mm jack for lightning only, comes with lightning EarPods and lightning to USB-C cable.

iPod Touch discontinued. Used iPhones and the iPhone SE have taken over too much of its market.

New iPhones in 2 sizes ditch the 3.5mm jack and come with lightning EarPods, lightning to USB-C cable, and 12W USB-C charger. iPhone SE is maybe repackaged with lightning EarPods and lightning to USB-C cable/charger, but no design changes.

New iPad Pros (in all 3 sizes) ditch the 3.5mm jack and come with lightning to USB-C cable and 29W USB-C charger (maybe not until Spring 2017).

mariachi4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
I'm ok with the current storage sizes. 16 GB is enough for my music library.

1. Ipod touch: it's already very good, just hope for the next refresh it will have faster processor and no protruding camera, or get rid of the camera.
2. Ipod nano: already the perfect gym companion, but for the next refresh, if any: ios 9 ui look and a retina display, please! The outdated display is just an eyesore.
3. Ipod shuffle: it's obsolete, get rid of it.

Reactions: Macinoah

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
As someone who uses my iPod Shuffle nearly 4 times a week, I have to disagree with not only it being discontinued but it being upgraded to a bigger capacity. The issue about the shuffle is that it doesn't have a screen, therefore having too many songs would make it a bit of a pain.

Reactions: Macinoah

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I don't need a screen on my shuffle because I just put music on it and let it play the songs at random. If a song starts playing that I'm not in the mood for I just skip it. I would like to fit more songs on so I don't have to keep syncing it to iTunes to change up the music on it.

As it is right now $50 for a 2GB MP3 player is a ripoff. Most 2GB competitors are way cheaper, and others in the $50 range have way more storage. The only reason I got mine is because I had a $20 rewards credit at Best Buy that was about to expire and I couldn't think of anything else to buy with it. I had been shopping around for a used shuffle because I refused to pay $50 for it, but wanted to stick with Apple/iTunes since that is what I already use to organise my music.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I don't need a screen on my shuffle because I just put music on it and let it play the songs at random. If a song starts playing that I'm not in the mood for I just skip it. I would like to fit more songs on so I don't have to keep syncing it to iTunes to change up the music on it.

As it is right now $50 for a 2GB MP3 player is a ripoff. Most 2GB competitors are way cheaper, and others in the $50 range have way more storage. The only reason I got mine is because I had a $20 rewards credit at Best Buy that was about to expire and I couldn't think of anything else to buy with it. I had been shopping around for a used shuffle because I refused to pay $50 for it, but wanted to stick with Apple/iTunes since that is what I already use to organise my music.
But then you'd seem more fit for an iPod Nano in my opinion. But even an iPod Nano is too expensive in my opinion (especially considering you can make a upgraded iPod mini for less with much more capacity).
[doublepost=1471477618][/doublepost]On a unrelated note... Something I would love to see on an iPod shuffle is the ability to use bluetooth earbuds to work out with

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Only iPod worth anything is the shuffle.

Rest is pointless.

Shuffle is for athletes. Your phone does everything else.

Weird transitional phase now with headphones, but would expect to see lightning only iPods shortly.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I love the iPod when I'm at work, stuck grading all day, doing indoor exercises etc. The Nano is so light that it's almost nonexistent. I don't get constant notifications like on my iPhone and it doesn't look like I'm on my phone all the time.

Smartphones have replaced iPods for 98% of people I assume, but there is still a market.

At least upgrade the Nano to 32GB, rename it "iPod" and have that as the sole product if they don't want to keep the others.
[doublepost=1473777072][/doublepost]
I'm ok with the current storage sizes. 16 GB is enough for my music library.

2. Ipod nano: already the perfect gym companion, but for the next refresh, if any: ios 9 ui look and a retina display, please! The outdated display is just an eyesore.

iOS 9 look = all white versus black UI = :(

Retina Screen + small battery = bad battery life. For the limited screen interaction with the Nano, the screen is sufficient.

ciemunio

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
I would like to have iPod shuffle with more memory and Bluetooth. Maybe with gps and accelerometer( I don't need it because have watch with it but maybe others?). For running, gym etc. shuffle is great.

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
This idea may be irrelevant, but I'm starting to think the new iPod lineup last year was just to promote Apple Music. Think about it. The iPod touch came on iOS 8.4, and why didn't Apple release it earlier in 2015?

mariachi4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
I love the iPod when I'm at work, stuck grading all day, doing indoor exercises etc. The Nano is so light that it's almost nonexistent. I don't get constant notifications like on my iPhone and it doesn't look like I'm on my phone all the time.

Smartphones have replaced iPods for 98% of people I assume, but there is still a market.

At least upgrade the Nano to 32GB, rename it "iPod" and have that as the sole product if they don't want to keep the others.
[doublepost=1473777072][/doublepost]

iOS 9 look = all white versus black UI = :(

Retina Screen + small battery = bad battery life. For the limited screen interaction with the Nano, the screen is sufficient.

Yes I love the Nano form factor as well, just super easy when you need to listen to music quickly. I think navigating the Music app on iOs is annoying sometimes, especially when i open the app, the screen becomes white while it is looking for network, then my offline library shows. It can load up to 10 seconds. Really weird since I am not subscribed to Apple Music.

Good thought, I am all for 1 "iPod" 32GB and get rid of the rest. And it makes more sense than the current lineup.

If they can add a dark mode ios9 ui feel, im all good.

Yeah, but Apple can make good battery life, if they really wanted to. Just like what they did to ipad, always more or less the same battery life through generations.

Reactions: Traverse

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
iPod shuffle and nano's future can very well be the Apple Watch. Load a few songs into your watch, pair it with Bluetooth earbuds, then hit play while using it as a fitness tracker too. Yes, right now watch capacity is low and watch battery isn't so good, but in a few years, should be much better.

The classic and touch are basically subsumed into the iPhone. There really isn't any point in keeping iPods around anymore. Their existence is obsolete but their DNA lives on in all of Apple's mobile devices.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
To my mind the iPod Classic is still the most perfect replaying device for music and the spoken word.

It has 160Gb of storage; it does not have the pointless camera and the controls are easily managed.

For everything else I have an iPhone...

Reactions: SkyBell

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In order for iPods to stay relevant they need to be compatible with Apple Music. At this point only the touch is. A new nano with wifi, compatibility with Apple Music and the ability to download music and playlists without syncing to a computer would keep it relevant for a few more years.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'd LOVE to see a refreshed Nano, that is compatible with Apple Music and would fall in line with iOS. That would be ideal.

I've had a nano for a decade now; by far, it's always been my favorite gym buddy. The form factor is best.

Reactions: LotusLord

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think a modern compact iPod that is music focused, compatible with Apple Music and eliminates the need to sync with a Mac or PC to download new music would be popular with the gym crowd, but then again Apple would probably rather sell these people an :apple: Watch so perhaps Apple doesn't think it is worth the time & $ to design a new iPod.

Reactions: phillytim

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Shuffle/nano has basically been subsumed by the Apple Watch. The watch can store some music and stream it to Bluetooth earbuds.

And the watch does more in workouts too.

The touch is basically subsumed by the iPhone/iPad. Touch's heyday was before the iPad mini was introduced. Once that came, the touch started to become redundant as a games device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.