Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Lupin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting so please be gentle.

When I press the top button of my Ipod touch 6, the device turns on normally (with the Apple logo) , the unlock screen appears, I type in my password and get access to the control screen.

At that point, my Ipod functions normally, I can go on the internet, check my emails or listen to music. However, after 5 minutes of use my Ipod turns off as if the battery had died (the black screen with a revolving circle appears). I have tried plugging it in with various cables/power adapters but my Ipod won’t charge and the lightning bolt icon doesn’t appear. The battery remains under 20% however long I keep it plugged in.

Do you have any idea where the problem comes from? Is my device salvageable?

Thank you very much for your answers!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you tried cleaning the lightning port on your Touch?
I usually use a toothpick, but something pointy, small enough to get into the corners, and stiff enough to be effective.
Non-metal is best, but I have occasionally used an unfolded paper clip when nothing else was available. (Be really careful if your dig around in there with something made of metal)
The idea here is to dig out whatever might be stuck inside (pocket lint is the main thing here)
Even a few good "blasts" from a can-o-air can help.
After a few minutes doing some "mining", see if the charging icon will appear. You might be surprised to see it work now.

A.Lupin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Have you tried cleaning the lightning port on your Touch?
I usually use a toothpick, but something pointy, small enough to get into the corners, and stiff enough to be effective.
Non-metal is best, but I have occasionally used an unfolded paper clip when nothing else was available. (Be really careful if your dig around in there with something made of metal)
The idea here is to dig out whatever might be stuck inside (pocket lint is the main thing here)
Even a few good "blasts" from a can-o-air can help.
After a few minutes doing some "mining", see if the charging icon will appear. You might be surprised to see it work now.
No I haven't tried that trick yet! I'll give it a go tomorrow and get back to you. I've had my Ipod for 3 years now and have never cleaned the lightning port so hopefully your suggestion is the right one! I can't see any lint in there but the port is so small I don't think it's visible to the human eye.
Thank you very much for your answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.