Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
I use android phone, but my kids have iPhone. I was considering getting an iPod touch, just to use for FaceTime with them, over Wifi, since the 32 gig is so inexpensive. But the specs show the front camera is ONE megapixel !? How bizarre that any supplier is even making a One megapixel these days. Seems like the price point of a 4 meg or so would be the same as a 1 meg. I can't imagine the FaceTime video quality is anything but horrible. Anyone out there tried FaceTime with an iTouch?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The part is the same one they've been using for almost 10 years on various iPhones/iPods/iPads, they were made in great abundance so it's entirely possible they don't manufacture the part anymore they just had enough left over stock to fill expected orders for the device's life.

With good lighting, and assuming they are only answering calls on their iPhones and not an iPad/Mac, the quality is subpar/acceptable. However getting onto higher resolution displays and especially in low light the quality of the camera collapses completely. Very grainy and details are blurry/out of focus. Be sure to have good lighting if you wish to present a good image otherwise it will look like a 10 year old YouTube video. It is about 2012 spec.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I use android phone, but my kids have iPhone. I was considering getting an iPod touch, just to use for FaceTime with them, over Wifi, since the 32 gig is so inexpensive. But the specs show the front camera is ONE megapixel !? How bizarre that any supplier is even making a One megapixel these days. Seems like the price point of a 4 meg or so would be the same as a 1 meg. I can't imagine the FaceTime video quality is anything but horrible. Anyone out there tried FaceTime with an iTouch?
I used a 6th gen iPod touch for abut 3 years and FaceTimed quite a bit on it, and took plenty of selfie photos. The quality is perfectly acceptable for FaceTime over WiFi. :)

@retta283 is right, with the proper lighting the camera will be much better too. Definitely not overly grainy. For comparison, it looks like the iPod touch camera is the same as the ones in the iPhone 6 and iPhone SE (1st generation). If you have access to one of those to try it out, see if it suits your needs. You can always buy a used older iPhone as well and use it only on WiFi if you wanted.

Reactions: na1577
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.