Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gabbelito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I've configured a new Macbook Pro and is just about to click the order button.
I think of going with the 120GB Apple SSD but I'm not 100% if it has enough space for my needs.

For example, how much does it REALLY ship with?

This is what I'm about to install on it that's big in size:

• CS5 (PhotoShop and InDesign)
  • iWork or Office
  • Spotify (with 5GB music)
+

Windows 7 through Bootcamp with:
  • Crysis 2
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops

Will it fit and still give me room for additional apps?
Do any of you have similar setups and if, how much space have you used so far?

Last edited:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
That will be plenty big for the applications you've listed, and then some. It's when a person starts storing large quantities of movies, music, and even photos on their computer that space would become an issue on a 120GB drive.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I have a 120GB SSD and have the entire CS5 Master Collection installed, Office 2011, iWork, and about 30 other apps (some of which are quite large). I also have Windows installed and 3-4 large games (Civ 5, Crysis 2, COD:Black Ops, etc) and am fine on space. I do have the optibay drive for all my media though.

Gabbelito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Thank you for the quick and informative replies.
I'm going with the 120GB SSD and will use an external for my media.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I don't know how you people do it.
I have a 115GB OSX partition
Everything fits well enough on OSX but I don't have any really heavy weight apps just a lot of developer tools and stuff. Media is the biggest chunk.

but the 64GB Win7 partition is a different story.
All that is installed is Cod MW2 single+mulitplayer and Office 2010. And really nothing else. I even removed about 1.5 GB worth of Windows stuff like games and speech support and stuff. I disabled hibernation to get rid of the hiberfil.sys file. It still takes 35,49 GB right now. Cod and steam is responsible for something like 20GB I think.
Installing Blackops needs another big chunk and after this one additional game you are left with so little space that installing other stuff might cause problems. It is really close as those modern games need big chunks of sdd space. It loads damn fast and I prefer having it on the SSD and only install 1-2 games at a time than to move the steam folder to the hdd which would give me more than enough space.

I think 120GB is really close especially with games. But I wanted the OSX partition to be much bigger (because I use it 95% of the time) if you keep it at 60GB it might just work and if you have too little space only install the games you actually play on the ssd or move the install folder to an hdd (if you have and optibay). It is so much faster loading levels from an SSD though and the whole game too of course.

CoD steam is actually less seems like it is only 12.5 GB in the progam files folder I also found 1.5 GB in a downloads folder. Still the stuff takes too much space. There is really nothing else besides really small stuff that doesn't need more than a few hunderd MB combined at the most(Anti Virus, ..). Temp folders are all empty and I doubt there can be too many shadow copies already as it is a quite new install.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.