Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the rMPB a good machine for game design?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Dgrohl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Hi, hopefully the next week, i'll buy a rMBP 15 with dGPU. The main use will be programming for iOS, Android, Unity (maybe Unreal) just for prototyping and making mobile games, Blender or similar software. The thing is that I'll start a game design degree the next year, atm I don't know what tools I'll need, so that's why I ask the question.

PS: I now that sadly, 3DS max is not compatible with OS X, but I can use another software or just install BootCamp if I really need it.

Note: Game design is not 3D artist but I have to use that kind of software to prototype levels, or characters.

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
OS X is kind of where you want to be for iOS programming but you're definitely going to want access to Windows as well. If you end up going with the rMBP, make sure to get a drive big enough to accommodate a Windows install.

Reactions: Dgrohl

Dgrohl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
OS X is kind of where you want to be for iOS programming but you're definitely going to want access to Windows as well. If you end up going with the rMBP, make sure to get a drive big enough to accommodate a Windows install.
Are you talking about apps that I'm going to require or just for testing purposes? (For example a build for Windows)

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
The 15" will be good. But opt for the 512 gb storage option.

Just the Android SDK files take up close to 60 gb.
Just the Unreal engine is close to 15 gb. With additional libraries and environments, it can rise very quickly.

Dgrohl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
The 15" will be good. But opt for the 512 gb storage option.

Just the Android SDK files take up close to 60 gb.
Just the Unreal engine is close to 15 gb. With additional libraries and environments, it can rise very quickly.

Yes, I'm going to get the one with dGPU and its storage starts at 512Gb.

Thanks for your reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.