Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Hello!

Can someone give me advice please. If I don't use AirDrop, is it a security threat? And should I disable it? And how to go doing it? I found terminal command, but I am wary of mucking with terminals myself.

https://answers.uillinois.edu/page.php?id=56564

Is there any other method or will AirDrop be harmless if I just let it be?

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
The video on that web site shows you how easy it is in Terminal! The copy pasting method works fine!

Have You yourself used it? In Your opinion, AirDrop should be better to be disabled? I just found out about it today and feel kinda nervous about something I don't understand.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My Mac is to old to have Airdrop however I did enable it about a year ago! However with a older Mac it won't share with newer Macs on Airdrop so to be it wasn't worth it in the long run!

On a newer Mac I would disable it if you travel with your Mac laptop or in a College environment the Yes disable it with those large crowds on the same network!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilbabgui

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I use all the time. Set it to be seen by "Contacts Only" also when something comes into AirDrop you can accept or Reject, nothing is put there without your knowledge.

I like to pass files back and forth from my iPhone to my Mac or my wife iPhone, easier than plugging in a cable or synching through iTunes.

Reactions: arefbe and Ilbabgui

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
My Mac is to old to have Airdrop however I did enable it about a year ago! However with a older Mac it won't share with newer Macs on Airdrop so to be it wasn't worth it in the long run!

On a newer Mac I would disable it if you travel with your Mac laptop or in a College environment the Yes disanble it with those large crowds on the same network!

Thank you! I use it in my home with Internet cable and there are no one else in my apartment I'd share. Not sure if my next door neighbour though could hack in there. :)
Still better to disable it even when it's just for home usage?

I use all the time. Set it to be seen by "Contacts Only" also when something comes into AirDrop you can accept or Reject, nothing is put there without your knowledge.

I like to pass files back and forth from my iPhone to my Mac or my wife iPhone, easier than plugging in a cable or synching through iTunes.

Thank you! So no one can push something in or get a look into my Mac without me accepting it first? Sorry for dumb questions, I found out about this thing only today and don't know what to think about it.

Wait, is it true that disabling Bluetooth disables AirDrop?

Last edited:

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Oh, seems like there is surefire method if I don't want AirDrop
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/20/airdrop-troubleshooting-tips-2/
The AirDrop protocol needs Bluetooth to detect if the devices are in close proximity of one another, and Wi-Fi to transfer data (one exception being a legacy Wi-Fi-only AirDrop mode on 2012 or older Macs). Once presence information is established, content is beamed via Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi is on and Bluetooth is off, or vice versa, AirDrop won’t work.

So if my Bluetooth is disabled, other Macs with their AirDrop on can't detect or connect to my Mac? If that is true, I have found solution to my worry.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Here is more info. It's like I used to tell folks years ago, you're on the internet, your on a network, your computer is always susceptible to attack, though the frequency for individuals is very low. AirDrop does however require a manual handshake before a file is allowed on your computer.

Could someone find a way to exploit it some time in the future ... sure ... but there are bigger fish to fry out there.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

Reactions: Ilbabgui

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Here is more info. It's like I used to tell folks years ago, you're on the internet, your on a network, your computer is always susceptible to attack, though the frequency for individuals is very low. AirDrop does however require a manual handshake before a file is allowed on your computer.

Could someone find a way to exploit it some time in the future ... sure ... but there are bigger fish to fry out there.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

Thank you! That sums it up for me!

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
And to finish this: checking Air Drop, it says "Turn on Wi-Fi".
So all I had to do was simply shut down Wi-Fi and Air Drop won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.