Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I need to get a new phone for my mom
but I don't think she really needs a new 6S

all we want to do is mostly video chat with LINE and use Waze but we want the OS to be snappy
I have an iphone 4S and it is really slow using 9.3 compared to my girlfriend's iphone 6.
will a 5S also be too dated with slow response times?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your 4S is 32-bit. The 5S is 64-bit.

iOS will be faster and you will still have the ability to run the latest apps (for now anyway).

I have a 5 on 9.0.1. I know it's not 9.3 or 9.3.1, but it's pretty fast on it and it's only 32-bit. So, the 5s should do well for you and your mom especially if this is all you're doing.

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I just upgraded my mom to a 6S this past Christmas from my 5S that I gave her and it was very snappy still. I think you guys will be fine.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
On our account, I have 3 family members happily using 5Ses. It's still snappy enough for most uses and, although I'm not ready to jump back at that (mostly as I like a few 6 and later features), the 5S would be a great phone, especially if you can find one inexpensively. Have you thought of looking at an SE? It'll be a bit more than a 5S, but will be much faster and should be more than capable for a few years (probably longer than the 5S).

shftoptk

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
USA
I have a 5s, 5, and 4s and use them almost daily for testing various apps and stuff. The 5s is miles ahead of the 5 and 4s. You will be fine with a 5s in terms of speed and compatibility because of the 64 bit processor.

But one thing you need to look out for on the 5s (like any older phone) is battery degradation, mine has lost about 40% of its capacity according to apple. I haven't looked at prices lately but it probably is about the same price (and definitely easier) to just buy the SE than to buy a 5s and then get the battery replaced.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I have a 5s, 5, and 4s and use them almost daily for testing various apps and stuff. The 5s is miles ahead of the 5 and 4s. You will be fine with a 5s in terms of speed and compatibility because of the 64 bit processor.

I will also agree with this - one of the things I manage at my day job is our work phone account - iPhone 4 and 4S models have been taken out of the rotation, but on a few occasions we've reused them in place of flip phones and for lost/stolen devices. It's cheaper than doing some sort of out-of-contract replacement, but I'm looking forward to the day when our 5Ses will be the the "retired" models that I can reuse.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
I got my 5S at release and I still love it. It's running 9.3.1 today just as smooth as it ran iOS 7.0 when it was brand new.

The hardware was a considerable performance jump at the time thanks to the 64-bit A7, and Touch ID is a must-have especially for older folks who might not want to bother with a password on their phone (I know my parents don't).

The phone still has legs, and if the 4S is still getting iOS updates with its hardware I'm sure the 5S will be safe for a while yet.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017

But one thing you need to look out for on the 5s (like any older phone) is battery degradation, mine has lost about 40% of its capacity according to apple. I haven't looked at prices lately but it probably is about the same price (and definitely easier) to just buy the SE than to buy a 5s and then get the battery replaced.

This thread is about "is an iPhone 5S still relevant today?" Please refer to the thread. For your information there isn't really difference between iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 aside from 5 has bigger screen than 4S.
Both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 are DDR2 Ram, both are 32 bit and they are both 800Mhz
iPhone 5 to 5S is major difference than 4S to 5. Because iPhone 5S has 64 bit and 1.3Ghz while 5 and 4/4S are still clocked at 800Mhz that is why their so slow like a turtle.

iPhone SE is 7 Times faster than YOUR 5S because it has 2GB Ram and 2 generations ahead than your 5S. 5S is only 2 miles faster than 5. But 4S in iOS 9 and iPhone 5 in iOS 10 are both Laggy. iPhone 5S is even worse now with iOS 11.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Honestly, it's barely relevant today, and by next iOS release it will likely be irrelevant. Your money would best be spend on the SE. It will have another good 3-4 years left.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I need to get a new phone for my mom
but I don't think she really needs a new 6S

all we want to do is mostly video chat with LINE and use Waze but we want the OS to be snappy
I have an iphone 4S and it is really slow using 9.3 compared to my girlfriend's iphone 6.
will a 5S also be too dated with slow response times?
No it's not relevant anymore. Get the 6S or SE. In about 2 months, the 6S will be discontinued like Apple does every year. I heard people love the SE, get it .

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
This thread is about "is an iPhone 5S still relevant today?" Please refer to the thread. For your information there isn't really difference between iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 aside from 5 has bigger screen than 4S.
Both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 are DDR2 Ram, both are 32 bit and they are both 800Mhz
iPhone 5 to 5S is major difference than 4S to 5. Because iPhone 5S has 64 bit and 1.3Ghz while 5 and 4/4S are still clocked at 800Mhz that is why their so slow like a turtle.

iPhone SE is 7 Times faster than YOUR 5S because it has 2GB Ram and 2 generations ahead than your 5S. 5S is only 2 miles faster than 5. But 4S in iOS 9 and iPhone 5 in iOS 10 are both Laggy. iPhone 5S is even worse now with iOS 11.

Honestly, it's barely relevant today, and by next iOS release it will likely be irrelevant. Your money would best be spend on the SE. It will have another good 3-4 years left.
Be advised that this thread is over a year old. Some things have changed since then.
[doublepost=1499358053][/doublepost]
No it's not relevant anymore. Get the 6S or SE. In about 2 months, the 6S will be discontinued like Apple does every year. I heard people love the SE, get it .

Reactions: Sunny1990

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I believe the 5 is also clocked at 1.3 GHz. It's twice as fast over the 4S

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

I just replaced a 5 with swollen battery with a SE for my stepmother. I didn't know until taking out of otterbox about battery, but she had been complaining about it acting weird. This was the go phone model, but I also convinced her to switch from ATT postpaid to prepaid for $20/month savings :) And for her usage and roaming needs, she didn't need postpaid anyway.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Didn't realize the thread was from a year ago lol
It doesn't matter even if this thread is 1 year or even 100 years old as long they share they're opinion
[doublepost=1499480015][/doublepost]Even the iPhone 6S or SE isn't worth it to buy no. as it lacks some LTE bands unlike iPhone 7 which is more durable and waterproof and will be supported 1-2 years longer than 6s.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Even the iPhone 6S or SE isn't worth it to buy no. as it lacks some LTE bands unlike iPhone 7 which is more durable and waterproof and will be supported 1-2 years longer than 6s.
Not everybody has a top-line budget though. Sure, everyone would prefer to have the 7 or 7 Plus due to the advanced tech, but for those with a smaller budget, the 6s and SE are very much still good buys that will last another good two or three years.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
It doesn't matter even if this thread is 1 year or even 100 years old as long they share they're opinion
[doublepost=1499480015][/doublepost]Even the iPhone 6S or SE isn't worth it to buy no. as it lacks some LTE bands unlike iPhone 7 which is more durable and waterproof and will be supported 1-2 years longer than 6s.
It doesn't matter because it's a year old and the people who asked a year ago no longer care. The 5S was more relevant when this was posted than it is now, so your input from mid-2017 is definitely irrelevant.

Just There

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
It doesn't matter because it's a year old and the people who asked a year ago no longer care. The 5S was more relevant when this was posted than it is now, so your input from mid-2017 is definitely irrelevant.
At the risk of being irrelevant by the time I post: my 5s with ios 11 works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.