Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
OK I love aperture, i have been using it from 1.0 and never regretted it, till now. I wanted to edit some photos i took today and i launched aperture, my library is on a external HD, a USB 2.0 thing, and i have a vault on a firewire drive in a safe place. well it said my library had a database inconsistency or something of that nature, so i tried to let it recover the files and it kept getting stuck, so i get the firewire drive out of my safe and try to restore from the vault and the same thing happens, so long story short i am screwed and i wanted to rant about it and share my pain with the internet.

I already sent a angry e-mail to apple.

bottom line. I do not think the aperture library option is stable enough for professional use, do you agree if not why?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If I were to buy a pro app and then had problems with it, personally I'd have contacted the vendor and tried to work with them to resolve the problem before embarking on a flame fest. With a pro app I expect pro support.

Not knowing anything about how you manage your computer, what your history has been with software, etc., it's hard to really argue one way or the other. All I can say is I've had no problems with Aperture or its database - I'm a happy camper.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
OK I love aperture, i have been using it from 1.0 and never regretted it, till now. I wanted to edit some photos i took today and i launched aperture, my library is on a external HD, a USB 2.0 thing, and i have a vault on a firewire drive in a safe place. well it said my library had a database inconsistency or something of that nature, so i tried to let it recover the files and it kept getting stuck, so i get the firewire drive out of my safe and try to restore from the vault and the same thing happens, so long story short i am screwed and i wanted to rant about it and share my pain with the internet.

I already sent a angry e-mail to apple.

bottom line. I do not think the aperture library option is stable enough for professional use, do you agree if not why?

i haven't had a problem either. have you been backing up your vaults and taking the right backup precautions? that should be a no brainer without-thinking type of action just in case any software or hardware glitches happen b/c unfortunately, they do (and usually at the wrong times too).

good luck,
Keebler

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have never had a problem with Aperture. I have two vaults on two harddrives, so that even if one of them is hosed, I still have a backup. Yesterday, I had a small problem, it said one of my vaults was faulty, but I simply retried and it worked fine.

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
Try rebuilding your Aperture database by holding command-option while launching Aperture. A dialog will come up asking if you want to rebuild your library.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
The latest version of Aperture seems to be stable for me.

But I honestly have to ask what all the hype is with Aperture, coming from the point of view of a photographer, I don't find it to be that great.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
I cant believe how unstable Aperture is on my MacBook Pro. At the moment im trying to crop a bunch of photos, and it crashes about every 5 minutes.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I cant believe how unstable Aperture is on my MacBook Pro. At the moment im trying to crop a bunch of photos, and it crashes about every 5 minutes.

This happens to me as well, one of the reasons I now use bridge and camera raw for my all of my stuff.

and i am religious about repairing permissions and other system maintenance

why does apple sell a top of the line laptop that can't run aperture at a decent speed

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
This happens to me as well, one of the reasons I now use bridge and camera raw for my all of my stuff.

and i am religious about repairing permissions and other system maintenance

why does apple sell a top of the line laptop that can't run aperture at a decent speed
More like why does Apple sell a photo database that can't run on a top of the line laptop at a decent speed? Aperture has got to be the slowest app in the world for what it's intended to do. Hopefully the reason Apple fired the dev team a while back and there hasn't been a release since then is because they scrapped it and started over. Great ideas, great interface, poor technical execution.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
More like why does Apple sell a photo database that can't run on a top of the line laptop at a decent speed? Aperture has got to be the slowest app in the world for what it's intended to do. Hopefully the reason Apple fired the dev team a while back and there hasn't been a release since then is because they scrapped it and started over. Great ideas, great interface, poor technical execution.

Apple did not fire anyone on the Aperture team. They moved developers from the Motion group over to Aperture to get 1.5 out the door. Then, those extra developers returned back to the Motion group after 1.5 was released.

Aperture's Product Manager (whose name escapes me at the moment) is very active over at Apple's support forums. Actually, that board continues to remain very helpful and active compared to many of Apple's other boards.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
Yeah, i'm guessing there is something wrong with my computer that is causing Aperture to crash so consistently. Not only does it crash constantly, but sometimes it takes over 10 minutes for the program to start up, and doing so pretty much brings the rest of the system to a halt.

I must stress that once I get aperture running (and it doesn't randomly decide to crash), it runs really well. So I'm not complaining about the speed of the app (like a lot of other people out there) im complaining about the stability.

However, I do repair the disk and verify permissions regularly. This doesn't seem to have any effect on how well aperture runs. I've also rebuilt my library database, but this also had no effect on how the app ran. I havent had any consistent problems with any other apps crashing or the operating system in general, so this seems to be an aperture specific problem.

I have a library of about 25,000 2-3mb .jpgs. Is this to many?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Aperture 1.5.4 seems to be pretty stable for me so far. I haven't had much time in it. I'm still trying to learn what I really need it for that Photoshop and Nikon Capture NX can't do

What do you people that use it really use it for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.