Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree, or am I getting this wrong?

• Total voters

AndyEmmett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Before I get into the nitty gritty, I'd like to point out I'm a fan of rap music... but I'm also a fan of various other genres.

I think that Apple Music isn't good for music discovery, and here's why: I believe they skew 'Top Music' lists to feature only rap music, and this has been a trend (problem?) since Apple Music's inception. Take a look at the 'Top Music' from both Apple music, and the iTunes Store, I posted some screenshots below; they're completely different. The 'Top Music' on the iTunes Store is well balanced with music from Pop, Country, Electronic, Rap, and other artists of different genres. Top lists usually a great way to discover new and great music. Other Apple Music discovery tools are not well organized, or doest present new music in a useful way. For example, in my experience... the 'For You' section in Apple Music basically shows the music I already listen to, and curated playlists are nowhere near as long (or well optimized though algorithms) to give a great discovery experience. Since of the Beats 1 acquisition, Dr. Dre's and Jimmy Iovine have influenced Apple Music in a way that isn't good for people who listen to ALL music. I almost feel like Apple Music promotes artists who have a personal relationship with these leader. What do you think about this?

27724866968_b6e906caf2_o.png
27724867468_11f35e19eb_o.png
39786268140_c2df6cc736_o.png

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
I‘m not a fan of Hip-Hop/Rap but I think it‘s more a demographic thing. Younger people probably use more streaming, therefore there‘s more Hip-Hop/Rap and „older“ people like to purchase their music, therefore there‘s more diversity in the iTunes charts. Besides, I think the charts work different. While Apple Music charts show the most played/most often added songs, iTunes Store shows the most purchased songs. One wouldn‘t buy each song of an album seperately but the whole album. That‘s why maybe only one or two songs of an album appear in the iTunes Store charts, but all of them appear in the Apple Music charts.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Apple is only reflecting what is popular. Here is this weeks new releases and over ½ are Rap/Hip-Hop. It is this way every week.
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 12.38.09 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.