Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumme_Cph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Hello,

Is there any way to check the remaining battery health (NOT the charge) on rechargeable devices?

I'm considering buying a Magic Trackpad 2, second hand locally, but if there's no way to check the remaining capacity of the battery itself, I might end up with an virtually unusable device (the TP2 being glued together thus battery being non replaceable).

What's your take on this?

(A second hand TP2 is approx. half price of a new, where I live.)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I doubt many will have such large battery cycles so you'd probably be safe. I probably charge mine maybe once every 6 weeks or so. It functions fine plugged in though - unless Apple has a mechanism to cripple the device if the battery dies?

Jumme_Cph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
I doubt many will have such large battery cycles so you'd probably be safe. I probably charge mine maybe once every 6 weeks or so. It functions fine plugged in though - unless Apple has a mechanism to cripple the device if the battery dies?
Yeah, come to think of it, what creeped me was that the TP2 uses an iPhone battery, and those normally shows sign of wear within 4-5 years.

But. Most people charge their iPhone every or every second night, and the drain on the trackpad couldn’t be anywhere near that.
Even if the Trackpad was 5 years old, it should be able to function for a period of years.

Im getting one. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Kebabselector
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.