Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Philadelphia
Hello, I've been looking for a while to buy an iPhone 6s Plus and I have been debating on whether or not I want to buy it off Swappa used or the Apple store new. So many people have suggested buying it off Swappa, but I have my concerns on how long the phone will last compared to a new iPhone bought in the Apple store. A new iPhone will have a brand new battery and I'm scared that if I buy this iPhone off of Swappa, someone will sell me a phone that dies super fast or something.

Would you...

1.) Buy a pre owned iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB from Swappa for around $500

or

2.) Buy a brand new iPhone 6s Plus 32 GB for about $700 after taxes

Since it's an Iphone, does my concerns on the life of the phone even matter? Overall, I just want to get a good value for my money since I've been saving up for it for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions!

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Other than cosmetic stuff, the only part than normally degrades over time is the battery. I've found that after 2-3 years, the aging batteries tend to cause the phone to shut off prematurely. It doesn't make the phone unusable, but it can be annoying. But the batteries are also relatively cheap to replace. Apple charges like $79. Other repair places can be quite a bit cheaper.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I personally wouldn't ever buy a used iPhone. I've seen what happens to my iPhones after 1-2 years of normal use and it's not pretty.. and I'm a person that "takes care" of their phone. So many people abuse their phones.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I personally wouldn't ever buy a used iPhone. I've seen what happens to my iPhones after 1-2 years of normal use and it's not pretty.. and I'm a person that "takes care" of their phone. So many people abuse their phones.

I bought mine with 12 charge cycles on it and I've never had an issue. I also take care of mine, as well. I think it's hard to mess up a battery in only 12 cycles.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
If it was half the price of new or less then I say go for it. If not I'd rather pay full price and have the 1 year warranty which with Apple products is a great warranty to have. You could also buy a 6s Plus 16gb at Walmart.com for $499 and save $150 while still having the 1 year Apple warranty as well.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I've had some good experiences buying used phones. Last one i bought came in excellent condition and looked as if it was never used.

Why not just buy a new 6s plus on swappa? It'd still be cheaper than at the Apple Store

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Swappa is definitely the way to go for used phones. Try and look for one that comes with AC+ and have the owner transfer it to your name.

Reactions: IrishVixen

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Only if you can get it with some remaining warranty or AppleCare+ included. And of course if you get a great price.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If swappa gives you an indication of the cosmetic condition (average, good, excellent) I may consider it, otherwise new.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
As long as it appears to be in good shape and is not iCloud locked, yes.

I've had more used iPhones than new and they've all been good for me.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't mind buying a used item as long as I thoroughly test and inspect it in person (Craigslist). Price is a big factor and how long I plan on keeping it.

Online though. No, with the exception of a place this site.

Reactions: sdwaltz

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I really don't like the iPhone 7, I like the 6s better
O ok I love the new home button and the new colors just my opinion tho, also the 7 is gonna be worth more if you go to resale to get the 8 or whatever they call it next year and it's suppose to be an all new redesign.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
I wouldn't buy used for something like a smartphone, the risks are too high in my opinion.

But I have bought the Apple router, keyboard, and magic mouse used and didn't regret a thing.

tekjunkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Hello, I've been looking for a while to buy an iPhone 6s Plus and I have been debating on whether or not I want to buy it off Swappa used or the Apple store new. So many people have suggested buying it off Swappa, but I have my concerns on how long the phone will last compared to a new iPhone bought in the Apple store. A new iPhone will have a brand new battery and I'm scared that if I buy this iPhone off of Swappa, someone will sell me a phone that dies super fast or something.

Would you...

1.) Buy a pre owned iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB from Swappa for around $500

or

2.) Buy a brand new iPhone 6s Plus 32 GB for about $700 after taxes

Since it's an Iphone, does my concerns on the life of the phone even matter? Overall, I just want to get a good value for my money since I've been saving up for it for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Both are bad deals. Either buy a new iPhone 7 32GB or a new iPhone 6s 32GB. I wouldn't buy used even though I've never had a problem. I always inspected it and met the other party at the carrier store in question so then they could check it out.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If it's in good condition, not iCloud locked, is the device you want and is a good price, why not. Just don't go for anything too old or it's useful life will be less.

I've never bought used but I've sold plenty of devices of all kinds. And to date I've sold 6 iPhones. The buyers got a good deal, devices in perfect working order, immaculate condition (and I mean not even a micro scratch,) and fair prices. I don't sell to people I know, but I've donated a few iPhones to friends and family and they're all still going strong.

Reactions: tekjunkie

kirbisi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
Just bought my third iphone. an xs 256gb for 700€. Phone visually is flawless, still has apple warranty until november and battery shows 87% capacity. If id go for a new one that would cost double around here.

Previous iphone 5s 32gb i also bought used with warranty for about 350€ which had dust behind front camera and had white spots on display, thanks to warranty they replaced the phone and gave me brand new 5s.

It does take some patience and special care when checking out used phone but im sure both times i had an excellent deal. Still, 700€ is a ridiculous price to pay for a phone, it better last me at least as long as 5s did :p

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
For fun and a few dollars I buy used and some new off gumtree here, some I use for awhile or flip, I paid for a new 11 pro this year which pretty much cost me nothing from sales.
I used a se I got for $50AUD for a month before then sold it for $250, as I sold my XR for $940 I bought for $700. I enjoy the wheeling and dealing, must come from my years of bartering on surf trips to Indonesia.
Just got to do the proper checks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.