Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meduras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
I'd like some drivers for printer. Is canon site safe to download them as self-installed trojans are Mac's worst nightmare and I have no real time scanner to detect if something comes in.

Google gives me both sites, but is there any difference?

https://www.usa.canon.com
http://www.canon-europe.com

I just find it weird one is canon.com while other canon-europe.com - if it is same company, shouldn't it be europe.canon.com...

Not sure what to trust or to trust either at all.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The software is probably the same on both sites (although maybe with some language differences). As far as I can tell, both are legitimate.

With that said, you can usually just plug in the printer and turn it on. It'll typically offer to install the necessary drivers automatically.

Meduras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
The software is probably the same on both sites (although maybe with some language differences). As far as I can tell, both are legitimate.

With that said, you can usually just plug in the printer and turn it on. It'll typically offer to install the necessary drivers automatically.

It's not offering me this chance unfortunately.
So both sites look fine? If you have used one yourself, which then?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I've also downloaded drivers and software from the USA site with no issues.

Enryn

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
What if they're old drivers, meant for Lion, would it cause harm to stuff them into El Capitan?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
What if they're old drivers, meant for Lion, would it cause harm to stuff them into El Capitan?
It probably just wouldn't work on a more current OS, at least not properly. Best to download the latest software/driver from the manufacture's website.

Enryn

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
Nah... they may just refuse to install or install and just not work.

So I could just try and if it works, it is fine, if it doesn't work, it won't leave behind some half-installed mess?
I just want to be sure before trying, but saw something that older software might not know how to install properly/ half-install and make it all worse. Sorry for bombing questions. :D
[doublepost=1482611207][/doublepost]
It probably just wouldn't work on a more current OS, at least not properly. Best to download the latest software/driver from the manufacture's website.

Problem is, it is latest this old model has. :)
By properly, you mean it just doesn't function well enough, not that it can harm Mac or weaken system somehow?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I could just try and if it works, it is fine, if it doesn't work, it won't leave behind some half-installed mess?

Correct.

I just want to be sure before trying, but saw something that older software might not know how to install properly/ half-install and make it all worse. Sorry for bombing questions.

This is just a printer driver and it won't hurt anything. Now if you were trying to force feed some old iStat menus utility and things like that that install kext files to work, then yes, that might cause a system crash.

Reactions: Enryn

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Problem is, it is latest this old model has. :)
By properly, you mean it just doesn't function well enough, not that it can harm Mac or weaken system somehow?
I've never heard of an old driver causing harm to a computer. It may not tell you upon launch that the driver is not compatible with the OS. It might not even let you even install it.

Reactions: Enryn and Weaselboy

Enryn

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
This is just a printer driver and it won't hurt anything. Now if you were trying to force feed some old iStat menus utility and things like that that install kext files to work, then yes, that might cause a system crash.

Sorry, I'm not certain what those mean so I'll use examples: one printer driver and one scanner driver, meant for OSX Lion. Would those be safe to try to install into El Capitan?
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp160/

I've never heard of an old driver causing harm to a computer. It may not tell you upon launch that the driver is not compatible with the OS. It might not even let you even install it.

So trying wouldn't hurt and if it works, it will be fine?
Thank you!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry, I'm not certain what those mean so I'll use examples: one printer driver and one scanner driver, meant for OSX Lion. Would those be safe to try to install into El Capitan?

There is a folder /System/Library/Extensions/ where some utilities like iStat menus and others install what are called kext files to extend system functionality. Often times older versions of those kext files can cause instability and crashing. But a normal printer driver installation does not install such files, so would not be a problem. I was just trying to explain what you may have read elsewhere about how old software can cause problems.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I've been helping on another poster with the Pixma MP160. Those drivers stopped working on OS X several versions back.
I think that Lion was the last officially supported system.
You should be able to use the scanner part, but it's unlikely that you will get the printer to work properly.
Time to move on to something newer.

Enryn

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
There is a folder /System/Library/Extensions/ where some utilities like iStat menus and others install what are called kext files to extend system functionality. Often times older versions of those kext files can cause instability and crashing. But a normal printer driver installation does not install such files, so would not be a problem. I was just trying to explain what you may have read elsewhere about how old software can cause problems.

Ah, I see. So the printer driver and scanner driver both are safe from kext files?

I've been helping on another poster with the Pixma MP160. Those drivers stopped working on OS X several versions back.
I think that Lion was the last officially supported system.
You should be able to use the scanner part, but it's unlikely that you will get the printer to work properly.
Time to move on to something newer.

I got it from my uncle ("hey look, free printer, here's CD use it or download or whatever"), who was cleaning up his house.
I even got my hopes up for a day. :( Trying to be cheap these days...

Well, if it doesn't muck up my system, I'll squeeze out as much as I can from scanner at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.