Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Yes it is a good starter camera. If you buy it, take a look at Canon's lenses.
I have a Canon XT (older model) and have bought 2 lenses in addition to the bundled lens!

taintedwheat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I had a XS until recently (it got stolen) - but while I had it I loved it! As an absolute beginner, it was more than sufficient for my needs and I felt like I had plenty of room to grow into it. Right now I'm waiting to see what Nikon is going to offer on the 14th but I will likely end up buying another XS... it was a great little camera.

EDIT: Also, you pretty much can't beat the price.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was looking to get in to photography for a hobby and I was looking at the Canon XS ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120279 ) I just wanted to know if this was good camera for starters or not? or is there a better camera to start out with?

It's a good plan. Spend as litle on the body as you can. Figure it will have a short life, maybe 5 years max. SAve you budget of the lenses as that is what makes the image. You should decide the brand, Canon or Nikon based of the set of lenses you want, even if you don't buy them all at once

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
It's the best starter digital SLR on the market right now.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
I love my XS, it is a great camera. I got mine for $449 with the kit lens. I was thinking about getting the XSi, but decided that the differences did not justify the $250-300 price jump. With the money I saved I picked up a 50mm lens and a 75-300mm lens.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
how do you like your XT... i am debating buying a used one...
I shoot with an XT. Aside from the crappy 1.8", low-res screen, the images it puts out are great. ISO 800 is very good (good enough to print 12x18s and have it not be a problem), and ISO 1600 isn't much of a problem if it's well-exposed. One thing I like about the XT over the other Rebels is that it has an LCD screen to display shot information, as opposed to using the main screen. It's just preference on my part, though. There's also no 2-second timer, but if you use mirror lock-up the countdown shortens to 2 or 3 seconds as opposed to 10.

There's no Live View to speak of, and some people find the grip to be small (it's not a problem for me, though). Besides that, it's a great camera that'll produce very good images (provided that you know what you're doing).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
So far I like mine. Just got it this week :D (couldn't turn it down, $550 cdn for camera + lens, canon bag, grip, battery, memory card, & three year warranty including yearly cleanings).

I'm a total beginner but the shots I have taken just playing around with the settings and stuff turn out well when I don't just randomly switch to the highest then lowest settings. The review at http://www.dpreview.com was really useful. My folks have the XSi and I would agree that it feels of better quality than the XS (it feels a little cheap) and the bigger screen is nice even if it's only 0.5" more. Still... for potentially hundreds of dollars more? I didn't think it was worth it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I shoot with an XT. Aside from the crappy 1.8", low-res screen, the images it puts out are great. ISO 800 is very good (good enough to print 12x18s and have it not be a problem), and ISO 1600 isn't much of a problem if it's well-exposed. One thing I like about the XT over the other Rebels is that it has an LCD screen to display shot information, as opposed to using the main screen. It's just preference on my part, though. There's also no 2-second timer, but if you use mirror lock-up the countdown shortens to 2 or 3 seconds as opposed to 10.
Ah, you are right and it is a pity this trend dies out

vikkimac

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Canon

I got a Canon EOS Rebel XSi a few months ago as a total beginner and I LOVE it! The kit lens it came with is a 18 - 55mm, and it's a pretty good starting point, but I've already gotten another lens for telephoto.
I also got the book by David Busch specifically for this camera, and that helps a lot too. Very well written, nice color photos, like the tiny little manual that comes with, but WAY more user friendly.
I highly recommend this camera and book as a starting point.

liljohnny51

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I guess i will order tomorrow or monday! :) I pretty pumped to start getting into photography. :)

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I picked up one of these off of Ebay for $385 (camera only, no lens). I already had two lenses my parents gave me from a 35mm SLR. They're not the greatest lens, but they'll work for now.

Other then that, I love this camera. Haven't really gotten a chance to test it out though (stupid weather).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just wanted to know if this was good camera for starters or not? or is there a better camera to start out with?

Beginners always make the mistake of thinking they are buying a "camera". They aren't. They are buying into an "SLR System". To start building a system you need BOTH a lens and a SLR body. Then over time you buy more llenses ad replace the body and maybe add a flash or two and so on.

So,.... Think ahead. Buy into the system that you want to live with for the next 20 years. SLR bodies don't last very long. Maybe five years and then you upgrades them like computers. Lenses last "forever". 10 or 20 years is not unreasonable.

With Canon, any entry level body is OK. WithNikon think about the lenses you want before you buy the body. With both, think ahead a few years and plan future purchases NOW. After you get most of what you want (don't buy it all at once.) you will find you have more money invested in lenses then in the body. That is the way it should be. So select a body based on your three year photo gear bodget and spend no more than 1/2 of that budget on the body.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The XS is missing spot metering however. I'm also debating between the XS and XSi, but I can see the spot metering is going to be quite a benefit. At first, I was leaning toward the XS since it's about $200 cheaper than the XSi. Then I read about spot metering and that pretty much killed it. I'm determining if that feature alone is worth the extra $200 (for me) and if there are any work arounds I could use the XS. The XS kit is a sweet deal. I think it'll get sweeter once the X1i hits.

liljohnny51

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
there arent any lower prices out there?

i found a refurb for 414... (the reason i ask if because i am looking to order one in the next few days...)

when i went to go order mine the price went up.... :(

but the thing with used items is you just never know with them... at lease with new you know its pretty much going to be good to go.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
when i went to go order mine the price went up.... :(

but the thing with used items is you just never know with them... at lease with new you know its pretty much going to be good to go.
Arguably, if it's refurbished by Canon it has better quality control than if it were new. Theoretically, since Canon checked it out and made sure it works, as opposed to making it and dumping it in a box, you're more guaranteed a working copy by buying refurbished. The Canon refurbished lens I got (70-200 f/4L) could've passed off as new if not for the 'refurbished' sticker on the rear lens cap. The focus distance scale had 0 scratches, front element had 0 scratches, gold contacts showed next to no wear (I just saw a couple of marks signifying that it was mounted once or twice, tops). I wouldn't be afraid to buy refurbished again if the savings are enough. I'd also be sure that it's refurbished by the manufacturer and not by the store (Adorama, etc.)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
hmm, spot metering and center-weighted average (located in the same metering screen as evaluative and partial) not the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.