Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do these images look in Firefox and Safari on your Mac?

• I am using Intel and both images in Safari look like #1 in Firefox (bright orange)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I am using Intel and both images in Safari look like #2 in Firefox (dark orange/red)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I am using PPC and both images in Safari look like #1 in Firefox (bright orange)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am using PPC and both images in Safari look like #2 in Firefox (dark orange/red)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Ever since I got my Core2Duo MacBook Pro back when they were released, I have had problems with getting colour to match up across applications. I've largely ignored it, as I hadn't been doing anything that important, but I'm now at the point where I'm using Aperture more and more, and wanting to do more with colour.

No matter what I do, I cannot get colour looking the same in Firefox and Safari. Now, I know that Firefox is not colour managed, but exporting as sRGB should mean that things look the same in both browsers. However, that's not happening.

Here's an example. This is a crop of a photograph I took with this bright orange box in it, as it shows off the problem quite well. In Firefox, this image looks exactly as it should - bright orange. This matches up with what I see on my camera, in Windows, or on any other device I can load the image onto:

sRGB.jpg

However, in any colour-managed application, this changes to a dark orange/red. If I export the image with my display profile, rather than sRGB colour matches everywhere, but it is the wrong colour everywhere:

Calibrated.jpg

In Safari, both these images look the same as each other, as that is what colour management is supposed to do. However, on my MacBook Pro, this makes them both look red. They should both look bright orange - the same as the first image when viewed in Firefox. (or any other unmanaged application)

I have had a friend check this for me, and his results seem to go along with my suspicions that Colorsync is broken on Intel macs. (or at least Core2Duo ones)

On his Dual G5 the first image looks bright orange in Firefox. It also looks bright orange on his Core2Duo MacBook.

On both machines in Firefox, the second image looks red, just like it should.

However, on the G5 when you load up the images in Safari, they both look identical to each other, but they are the same orange as the first image in Firefox - which is exactly what should be happening. On his MacBook, they both turn bright red though, just like I'm seeing on my MacBook Pro.

Is this affecting anyone else using an Intel machine? It would be great if people could test this and post back their results and what mac they're using.

To summarise - load up this post in Firefox. The two images should be different from each other, with the first being orange, and the second being a lot darker/reddish.

Now Open up this post in Safari - the two images will be the same as each other, but which one do they look like when comparing to Firefox? They should both look like the first image does in Firefox, but for me, they look like the second. (which is incorrect)

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
You might find this of interest particularly this showing the problem with Safari (compare it with Firefox on the same machine).
Thank you, but why is it that I get the results I am expecting on a G5 but two Intel machines are wrong?

My MacBook Pro has a profile generated with a Spyder2PRO, whereas the G5 and MacBook were using the profiles Apple supplies.

The top image was converted to / exported as sRGB which I thought meant that it should display the same in both Firefox and Safari? (which does happen on the G5)

DA-Steve

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
Adelaide Australia
This has been driving me insane!! i use my mbp for webdesign and print work and i cant for the life of me get an image to look the same across all apps..

The strange thing is when i run dual monitors, if i have photoshop open and drag a psd from one window to the other, it will look the same until i release the mouse and it will suddenly change color! it happens both ways.. all the color settings are the same on both monitors!!!!!

Going from photoshop to imageready to flash is a nightmare!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
This has been driving me insane!! i use my mbp for webdesign and print work and i cant for the life of me get an image to look the same across all apps..

The strange thing is when i run dual monitors, if i have photoshop open and drag a psd from one window to the other, it will look the same until i release the mouse and it will suddenly change color! it happens both ways.. all the color settings are the same on both monitors!!!!!

Going from photoshop to imageready to flash is a nightmare!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This is why I believe it is a bug in Colorsync itself on Intel machines, as I don't remember having any problems like this on my Powerbook, and on my friend's G5 things act as I would expect them to.

It's almost like the profiles are being ignored and everything is being treated like it's tagged with my display profile in a colour-managed application. (yet unmanaged programs like Firefox display images converted to sRGB properly)

DA-Steve

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
Adelaide Australia
This is why I believe it is a bug in Colorsync itself on Intel machines, as I don't remember having any problems like this on my Powerbook, and on my friend's G5 things act as I would expect them to.

It's almost like the profiles are being ignored and everything is being treated like it's tagged with my display profile in a colour-managed application. (yet unmanaged programs like Firefox display images converted to sRGB properly)

im new to macs so i can only compare it to my PC which i never had any issues with..

perhaps we might get more answers in the OS X forum?

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
I banged my head against the desk on this issue for a while.

As soon as you use the color sync utility all of your colors will show up color managed and thus: OVERSATURATE. The images ARE bright orange but the orange becomes oversaturated in Safari because it is color managed --and looks more red. The reds tend to exaggerate the saturation effect more than the other colors. (Although I have seen greens get pretty bad too.)

My problem was that I have a bazillion photos I had processed on a PC before that all became over saturated as soon as I calibrated my monitor. I didn't know whether to go back and fix all of my images or change the display back to the way it was. I also didn't know where to set the colors on all of the new images I was shooting.

I work at a lab doing prints so I sent some tests over to our Fuji Minilab to see which came out closer to the way I intended the image to look. The over saturated images were indeed over saturated in the prints as well but it was harder to see. I spent a couple weeks testing prints and going back to the www to see what others were doing.

In conclusion, I desaturated any old photogs that the over saturation had the most visible effect on. From here on out I decided to set my images to match my display and just deal with the rest of the browsers out there seeing them as less saturated than I would like. IMO, it is better to have my photogs' colors set for print than to look pretty in IE and FireFox.

Good luck. Color management can be a very frustrating subject. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.