Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have mobileme and have uploaded some pictures to it from iphoto and sent links to my friends. It is a good way of sending pictures but the pictures in the galleries that I send don't seem to be as sharp / clear as they are in iphoto. I appreciate that this is probably down to the size of the image but I would like to know whether using flickr would be better? Also this would allow be to back up my pictures. What are peoples thoughts? Is flickr any good, is it better than mm.

Thank you :)

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I haven't used MM, but I know that disk space is limited. With Flickr Pro ($25/year,) you get unlimited space and bandwidth. I personally love Flickr. I'd say give their free account a try. Upload a few full size versions and see. (With a free account, you only get 100MB upload and 1GB bandwidth.) Also, here's my photostream. Take a look and see if you like how it's arranged, when you have a lot of photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imfrog2002/

Enjoy!

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Flickr is free, unless you wish to upgrade to the very inexpensive pro account. Whereas MM is relatively expensive. Made the decision easy for me to drop my .Mac account some time ago.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you for your replies. Does flickr pro allow you to upload your originals and also download them again. I am thinking about backing up the originals that I have in iphoto and would like to keep the original size etc.:)

Does flickr organise the pictures in a similar way to iphoto, I have my pictures in events, will these be kept if I upload them to flickr?

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Thank you for your replies. Does flickr pro allow you to upload your originals and also download them again. I am thinking about backing up the originals that I have in iphoto and would like to keep the original size etc.:)

Does flickr organise the pictures in a similar way to iphoto, I have my pictures in events, will these be kept if I upload them to flickr?

Yes and Yes-ish. When you upload from iPhoto, be sure to change it to Original (it's set to web) and then to download, just go into Flickr, and click "All Sizes" above the photo. Select Original, and then download. Takes a while, but they're all there, as long as you're pro. If you're free, you can't access originals.

If you upload a full event to Flickr, I BELIEVE it will send it as a "Set" essentially an event, but more like an album. If it doesn't send it as a set, upload one at a time, then hit organize. Just select all that aren't in a set and send them to a new set. Once again, you'd need pro. Free accounts are limited to 3 sets. Hope this helps!

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you so much that really does help - just one quick question - where do I change it to original (its set to web) is that in iphoto, on the uploader or in flickr. I think that I will get the pro account as it will be a great way to keep the originals safe and sound :)

How do I upload one event at a time? do i just drag an event over?

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Thank you so much that really does help - just one quick question - where do I change it to original (its set to web) is that in iphoto, on the uploader or in flickr. I think that I will get the pro account as it will be a great way to keep the originals safe and sound :)

How do I upload one event at a time? do i just drag an event over?

You change that in the iPhoto Uploader that's built into iPhoto '09. To upload an entire event, just open the event, hit Cmd-A and click Flickr.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Maybe I have been doing something wrong, but I've been less than thrilled with the iPhoto upload to Flickr. It sues the same 'braodcast' model that it previously did with .Mac (mobileme) - meaning that you have to keep that broadcast going. If you delete it from within iPhoto, then the photos are deleted on Flickr.

I prefer to sue Flickr's uploader applet, available free on Flickr. Drop and drag the folder or set of otems, set permissions and security, nsme the set, and it uploads just fine.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
You change that in the iPhoto Uploader that's built into iPhoto '09. To upload an entire event, just open the event, hit Cmd-A and click Flickr.

Thanks for your post. I should have mentioned that I am using iphoto 08. That's my fault sorry :). I will also be using the uploader on the flicks website and not the application that you download fir free from flickr as it kept crashing. Are there any setting that I need to alter to ensure that the originals upload ok for back up.

Thanks so much

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for your post. I should have mentioned that I am using iphoto 08. That's my fault sorry :). I will also be using the uploader on the flicks website and not the application that you download fir free from flickr as it kept crashing. Are there any setting that I need to alter to ensure that the originals upload ok for back up.

Thanks so much

Nope, for that one you just drag and drop. In all truth, I'm probably going to do that with iPhoto 09 as well. Like AxisOfBeagles said, you do have to keep that sync going. I would suggest the one for free, I've never used the uploader plugin, so I'm not too sure. Sorry.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you so much for your advice. The uploader on the upload page is good enough for me ! lol My main concern was that the originals that I upload would remain in their original condition / size etc. (i don't want to make a back up and get back a picture of less quality than I uploaded) Which I believe they will so that is cool. :)

Loved your pics btw.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Thank you so much for your advice. The uploader on the upload page is good enough for me ! lol My main concern was that the originals that I upload would remain in their original condition / size etc. (i don't want to make a back up and get back a picture of less quality than I uploaded) Which I believe they will so that is cool. :)

Loved your pics btw.

Thanks, and yes, if you use the web uploader they'll be in full quality. Flickr doesn't change anything, so it's perfect for backups.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have just started the upload, I am going to do it event by event so as to keep the organization. It is going to take ages to upload lol :)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was hoping the flickr upload in iPhoto 09 would be better than it is. I'm not bothering with it and using the FlickrExport plugin.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I have just started the upload, I am going to do it event by event so as to keep the organization. It is going to take ages to upload lol :)

Yeah. Just remember that if you're on free, you can only upload 100MB/month. If you got pro already, you're fine. Enjoy the awesomeness of Flickr. xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.