Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Basically that's my question.:)

Currently I have .Mac, and for my family photos I use the Gallery from it and I am very pleased. I was also thinking of doing my own page in iWeb, but I've had second thoughts about it.

What I like about Flickr is that it makes me want to take more photos! When someone comments in one of my photos it adds a little extra motivation to go out and try to make better.

What do you guys think?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I really like Flickr pro. I'm not sure what benefits I get over standard (I signed up for pro when I signed up for flickr because the non pro only allowed small files) but its been good for me. I use the Flickr Uploadr program on my Mac that lets me drag and drop pictures from my desktop into the little application and it uploads them without having to use a browser and futz with upload forms.

Much much better then the .mac galleries. Those are fine for sending photos to grandma, but if you really like taking pictures, flickr is a more "real photographer" type of place because you can take feedback on your work from other photogs, etc.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Taylorwisdom is my avatar twin... though I have a sneaking suspicion he stole it from me. OR, great minds think alike. And fools never differ.

Anyway...

I agree with him. Flickr Pro is awesome, definitely worth the moolah. I love the community features, etc. Go for it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think Flickr Pro just removes storage and upload bandwidth limits. So it depends on how many photos you usually are shooting and uploading.

I've got a Flickr Pro membership. It was certainly worth it at the time - it was fairly early on, and they doubled the term (gave me four years when I paid for two). I haven't looked to see what the prices are now, although next summer I'll have to start paying attention.

If the choices are .Mac/.Me against Flickr - I'd go with Flickr. But it really depends how you intend to use it. If you're reasonably web savvy, you can probably set up your own gallery without Flickr's help. I have the skill set, but went for the convenience. I really don't know if I'll re-up next year, though.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Me too. Right now, flickr is my main online gallery. You can still do all you need to do on flickr with a free account; you will just be restricted to a certain amount of bandwidth per month, and only 200 shots will be "visible"

I love the community, and as you said, it makes you want to keep shooting. The groups are great, and it feels good when you make Flickr Explore.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Flickr Pro removes the monthly upload limits so I upraded to Pro for one year with the intention of uploading all my photos at full size so I can use it as a storage space and see my photos wherever I am in the world.

But haven't got round to doing yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.