Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reck

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
My family is currently using a custom domain with Google which I’m looking to move away from as they are going to start charging for using gmail with custom domains.

Our current Apple setup is that myself and partner have an iCloud+ account and the kids just have a free iCloud account.

I want to setup the following emails using iCloud mail:-

me@mycustomdomain.com
partner@mycustomdomain.com
child1@mycustomdomain.com
child2@mycustomdomain.com

So can I create this setup using iCloud and how would it work? As mentioned we currently use gmail for email, so if we all individually setup a iCloud mail account can I go into my account and setup the custom domain and then create the above emails using the custom domain email address using an iCloud mailbox?

Thanks

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
You can use family sharing. Each family member will be able to create their own address.
The only problem many people have is if you used an custom email address as an apple id then you will never be able to create the same email name on another apple id.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My advice would be to read Apple's documentation on this…as well as other info you can find on it…and then come back here with some specific questions on what's not clear to you.

themidge

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018
Here is the link to Apple's documentation: iCloud Custom Domain

I'd really like to use this feature but the thing that's holding me back is the fact that you can't share your domain with someone outside your 'Apple Family.' Both me and my brother would like to use the domain but we can't without being in the same household. I'm hoping they're working on this. What happens when a child is old enough to move out and manage their own Apple purchases and subscriptions but wants to keep using the custom domain?

Reactions: zecanard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.