Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I'm not sure where else to post this, so if it needs to be moved please do so.

I recently bought a 2017 Macbook Air with an i7 and a 128GB SSD. I wasted no time in buying an adapter and dropping in a 512GB Intel 760p SSD, saving myself a few hundred dollars in the process. The only fly in the ointment is the soldered 8GB of RAM in my laptop.

I was thinking though that perhaps a future Intel Optane drive could be put in the SSD slot and used both as a boot drive and ultra low latency swap. Hopefully performance would be good enough offset the merely adequate 8GB that my laptop came with. I know that for a period of time when memory was very expensive, Dell was shipping laptops with '24 GB' of RAM that consisted of 8GB of DDR4 RAM and 16GB of Optane. I'm not sure how effective this combination was, and am interested in any comments as to the effectiveness of Optane as swap space.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
SSDs are considerably slower than RAM for swap, so even if it were possible in the future, you wouldn’t see any benefits.

However the memory management for MacOS is great. I’d say it’s unlikely you’d need more than 8GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.