Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
As the title says, is iOS 14 able to pair with watchOS 6? I've tried to google the answer but it just keeps coming up with answers from the beta which isn't helpful.

I would love to upgrade to iOS 14 but I do really need to know if it can continue to to communicate with my Series 2 watchOS 6 watch.

Thanks

Wesseldeg

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
yes that still works, for example: i'm on the IOS 14 beta 8 and my watch is still on the live WatchOS 6 version. it wil continue to work just fine

• Love
Reactions: ss2cire

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I got my series 4 running again and it’s making me “upgrade” to watch OS 7. Is there anyway around this? I really don’t want to update to watch OS 7 on my Apple Watch. Why won’t apple let me control my own device?!?

actually it won’t even let me update my watch, so I can’t even use the watch.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I got my series 4 running again and it’s making me “upgrade” to watch OS 7. Is there anyway around this? I really don’t want to update to watch OS 7 on my Apple Watch. Why won’t apple let me control my own device?!?

actually it won’t even let me update my watch, so I can’t even use the watch.

What? So first your watch is making you upgrade to watchOS 7, but you don't want to (any particular reason why?).

Then you can't update your watch and now you can't use it? I'm using a S0 watch on 4.3.2 and I'm able to use it.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
What? So first your watch is making you upgrade to watchOS 7, but you don't want to (any particular reason why?).

Then you can't update your watch and now you can't use it? I'm using a S0 watch on 4.3.2 and I'm able to use it.
My only gripe with watch OS 7 is the removal of force touch. In my opinion it makes no sense why they would remove it if my watch could support it. I loved that feature and was the main reason I didn’t consider a series 6.

I don’t use the watch much anymore and will probably steer away from it because of this. I know it sounds petty and extra but maybe I will come around.

apple support said if it wasn’t reset, I could’ve kept watch OS 6 but it wanted me to update regardless.

Reactions: Wowfunhappy

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My only gripe with watch OS 7 is the removal of force touch. In my opinion it makes no sense why they would remove it if my watch could support it. I loved that feature and was the main reason I didn’t consider a series 6.

I don’t use the watch much anymore and will probably steer away from it because of this. I know it sounds petty and extra but maybe I will come around.

apple support said if it wasn’t reset, I could’ve kept watch OS 6 but it wanted me to update regardless.

Oh yeah. Force Touch and 3D Touch were great innovations. So far, on iPhone, I’ve gotten used to its replacement. It’s still a little finicky but so was 3D Touch.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Oh yeah. Force Touch and 3D Touch were great innovations. So far, on the iPhone, I’ve gotten used to its replacement. It’s still a little finicky but so was 3D Touch.
Yea, luckily 3D touch still kinda works on the iPhone. I'm glad the haptic feedback is still there, I think I was worried that it might be gone.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Because all Apple devices are Apple inc. property. Users are just spending a ridiculous amount of money to rent a device from Apple anyway.
Sigh, cue all the companies who are against the right to repair. I think if anything, I would switch from iPhone to Android but I can't yet break my dependence on mac OS. Too much time invested in it, but I'm on Mojave. Catalina is junk.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sigh, cue all the companies who are against the right to repair. I think if anything, I would switch from iPhone to Android but I can't yet break my dependence on mac OS. Too much time invested in it, but I'm on Mojave. Catalina is junk.
Now that you think about it. If the device is not apple’s property, why Apple is very vocal against rights to repair? It’s their property, therefore they have the right to do whatever they want, including demanding the user to return it.

When user cannot choose what software can be installed on their hardware, the hardware is no longer user’s property.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Now that you think about it. If the device is not apple’s property, why Apple is very vocal against rights to repair? It’s their property, therefore they have the right to do whatever they want, including demanding the user to return it.

When user cannot choose what software can be installed on their hardware, the hardware is no longer user’s property.
I think of when apple sued the recycling company in Canada that actually fixed the apple devices instead of sending it to the landfill. Apple is a very unethical company and uses the "save the environment" act to gain popularity when they are actually making it worse because they are so stubborn.

I hate how I have to get a new logic board if a chip goes bad in my mac, apple can't just fix that single chip. They intentionally give third party repair companies a bad rep and bully them with frivolous lawsuits. The apple community is also very toxic, I avoid apple subreddits because of it.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.