Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
I just got my MacBook Pro last week and am learning how to use iPhoto. I posted a photo in the POTD.

I believe I was able to edit a RAW file from my Nikon D60 in iPhoto. I wasn't aware of this feature in iPhoto, and wonder why I haven't heard more about it.

Am I missing something? Is iPhoto really a free RAW editor?

Thanks,
Greg

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
it can edit RAWs, but it wasn't intended to do any relatively advanced editing. in that sense, it's not a "true" RAW editor.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I had the same experience. When I started to shoot RAW I figured I'd have to get a high-end editing program. I was happily surprised to find that iPhoto is very good at doing the basic things in RAW.

I go to Elements and PTLens when I need more controls or have to deal with perspective.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Even though iPhoto can display RAW files and offers (very) basic tools to edit them, you will only be able to touch the surface of what you can do with RAW files. IMO it's not worth shooting RAW when you want to use iPhoto.

To use the potential you have with RAW files, you need software like Aperture or Lightroom.

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Really appreciate the feedback here. I'm still enjoying all the free stuff that ships with Snow Leopard, hence my fascination with iPhoto. I used to use Elements on my 10" eeePC, so I'm really living large with a 13" MBP!

I think of Elements as a beginner's next step beyond iPhoto. So at some point I may get it, and it's pretty inexpensive. Aperture may be overkill for my skill level. https://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9915896

Greg

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I would caution you a little of thinking of iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom as software you use instead of, say, Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. The first three pieces of software are primarily tools to organize your pictures. Aperture and Lightroom also include tools that allow you to do most of the edits without having to launch Photoshop. Because of the non-destructiveness and the tight integration, they save tons of work and give you creative freedom that you haven't had before.

This may sound like a subtlety, but in fact, the difference is huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.