Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I was writing a post and upon looking for some images, I opened random sites to screenshot something, but my entire screen suddenly froze and then I noticed some pixilated glitches appearing at the top of my screen. I panicked so I held down the power button for a few seconds to shut down the computer. I turned it on again and things look normal again, but now I'm a little worried.

I ran Malewarebytes and nothing came up. I also quickly downloaded CleanMyMacX and Antivirus One; under their free trial scans nothing showed up either. I checked Apple's Security & Privacy under System Preferences and my firewall was off so I turned it on.

I don't know what else to do. Was that a virus? Should I check or do anything else?

Thanks in advance.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Clean my mac in and of itself is malware.
Once you restarted did you see any glitches?
Do the glitches appear on the login screen?
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Clean my mac in and of itself is malware.

I get what you're going for, but let's not use words like that as hyperbole when talking to an already worried poster. Clean My Mac isn't malware. It's written by a developer with good intentions. You can argue it's unnecessary and in worst cases harmful when used by users who don't know what they're prodding with it, but it's not written to be malicious.

OP; What model of Mac do you have?

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Thank you both for trying to help. I immediately deleted CleanMyMacX.

Macsound, no I don't believe I've seen any glitches when I rebooted. I also don't know how to reboot with safe mode.

Casperes, thank you so much. I'm currently using Big Sur.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Casperes, thank you so much. I'm currently using Big Sur.

I wasn't really talking about the OS but the physical machine. What I'm thinking is if it's one of the units with a known defect that might explain the issues and could be covered under an extended warranty repair program.
If it's a Mac with a known hardware defect, my instinct would be to blame that.
If not, I would assume a software fluke and pretend it didn't happen

Reactions: Big Ron

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Macsound, no I don't believe I've seen any glitches when I rebooted. I also don't know how to reboot with safe mode.

Hold Shift while booting. At least true for Intel Macs. But if you don't see any issues during regular operations don't boot into Safe Mode. It's a troubleshooting tactic, not meant for regular use.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hold Shift while booting. At least true for Intel Macs. But if you don't see any issues during regular operations don't boot into Safe Mode. It's a troubleshooting tactic, not meant for regular use.

Oh ok, sorry misunderstood you. I've had this computer for many years now. Never had this issues; first time.

Things appear normal now, so now sure. I'll post updates if anything happens again.

Thank you Casperes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.