Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my operating system and was all set to do a clean install, but then someone told me on Apple's community forums that there is no point doing a clean install unless you are selling your mac. He said just to do a regular upgrade instead. Which is better? I have had problems with iMac freezing no apparent reason so thought doing a clean install might help.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have never felt the need for a clean install
Then again, I've never really experienced any problems with my systems

I wouldn't do a clean install unless I was experiencing some significant issue that *might* be resolved with a clean install
I would say, try the straight upgrade first and see how it works for you
If you are having an issue, then consider a clean install

I know some swear by it
Others refute the notion
Just choose what works best for you :)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my operating system and was all set to do a clean install, but then someone told me on Apple's community forums that there is no point doing a clean install unless you are selling your mac. He said just to do a regular upgrade instead. Which is better? I have had problems with iMac freezing no apparent reason so thought doing a clean install might help.

This is sound advice. If your iMac is freezing up, see if it clears up w/ the upgrade to the newer OS first. If it's still happening, then try a clean install. Be sure to back up or sync your files.

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015

I always do a clean install. It's an opportunity to start again with only the base programs I actually use, and get rid of all the things-which-looked-a-good-idea-at-the-time-but-which-I-never-use-now and which waste space (and in some cases take up cpu/memory).

Reactions: Cigsm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.