Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the screen guard/protector film damage the display?

• Total voters

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hi! I recently got this device. As always, I protect my devices very well. Before this computer, I have been using an Early 2015 MBP 13", and I had a screen protector/guard on its display. It served me very well for more than 5 years, and I had never a ghosting/staingate issue thanks to the screen guard.

Now I applied a screen guard on my 14" MBP 2021 as well, but it does not feel so nice when I close its lid. I am not sure if this screen protector is thick or not, but it does not feel me nice like I felt on my Early 2015.

Do you think it damages the screen? I like using this but I am not sure, if it can be a problem, I will take this off.
I am kind of worried.

Attachments

• 37350B1C-2EDD-42B7-B2B4-2BB905B0E1A2.jpg
    37350B1C-2EDD-42B7-B2B4-2BB905B0E1A2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 736

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I had never a ghosting/staingate issue thanks to the screen guard.
Correlation does not equal causation ;)

I would take it off. A screen protector will not protect you from ghosting or under screen staining. So what's really the point, and you increase the risk for potentially cracking your screen or ruining the coating. Not to mention I imagine the film lessens brightness and contrast.

If you're not using the laptop, close the lid--the screen will be protected. If you are using the laptop, keep knives, fingers, and any sharp objects away from it and you will be good.

I have never put a screen protector on anything that has a "cover" (either an iPad with a folio or a laptop).

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Correlation does not equal causation ;)

I would take it off. A screen protector will not protect you from ghosting or under screen staining. So what's really the point, and you increase the risk for potentially cracking your screen or ruining the coating. Not to mention I imagine the film lessens brightness and contrast.

If you're not using the laptop, close the lid--the screen will be protected. If you are using the laptop, keep knives, fingers, and any sharp objects away from it and you will be good.

I have never put a screen protector on anything that has a "cover" (either an iPad with a folio or a laptop).
Yeah, I agree in fact, I just had it off after I opened this thread ?
A weird instinct has told me to take it off, and especially I have just read some comments on YouTube, who encountered with cracked screen issues, those people were using some screen protectors and hence do not advise using them anymore.

Actually I always used a screen protector with my early 2015 for years, it was so nice. But it was not like this one, the lid could be closed with no issue. But this film is a bit thick I guess, hence does not feel so nice when I close the lid.

I like protecting my computer, but it seems this film would give me a crack instead of protection... ?

How do you clean the screen when there is dust, or any fingerprint etc.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.