Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I have my iMac (running Mojave) on a UPS. A few days ago power went out for a short while when I was away. I came back to find the iMac in the middle of a shutdown process (initiated by the UPS), but a dialog asking me to confirm quitting an application had stopped it. Fortunately, the power came back before the UPS battery ran down.

Is there any way to prevent such dialogs in the future--i.e., automatically force all applications to quit and shut down no matter what? I figure better to lose unsaved changes or interrupt a download than have power suddenly cut out from a Mac that's running.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have my iMac (running Mojave) on a UPS. A few days ago power went out for a short while when I was away. I came back to find the iMac in the middle of a shutdown process (initiated by the UPS), but a dialog asking me to confirm quitting an application had stopped it. Fortunately, the power came back before the UPS battery ran down.

Is there any way to prevent such dialogs in the future--i.e., automatically force all applications to quit and shut down no matter what? I figure better to lose unsaved changes or interrupt a download than have power suddenly cut out from a Mac that's running.
Yep, run “sudo shutdown -h now”.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.