Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

destiouj-ely

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2024
the ipad 6 and 7 are very similar like the ipod touch 4 and the iphone 4, same chip
since ios 7 has been ported to ipos touch 4 we can do ios 18 on the ipad 6 no ?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I haven't heard of anyone being able to "force" an unsupported OS version on Apples mobile devices.
In theory it would prob be possible but the question is if its a good idea. Apples mobile devices are more locked down than the Macs (where its possible to install MacOS with 3rd party tools).
The situation with the iPad6 vs iPad7 is similar to the iPad pro 10.5. Its not supported but would prob run alright with iOS 18.

Havin said that, there might be loads of reasons why Apple have choosen to dump support for these devices.
Speed might be one but there might be a lot more that we don't know about.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

destiouj-ely

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2024
I haven't heard of anyone being able to "force" an unsupported OS version on Apples mobile devices.
In theory it would prob be possible but the question is if its a good idea. Apples mobile devices are more locked down than the Macs (where its possible to install MacOS with 3rd party tools).
The situation with the iPad6 vs iPad7 is similar to the iPad pro 10.5. Its not supported but would prob run alright with iOS 18.

Havin said that, there might be loads of reasons why Apple have choosen to dump support for these devices.
They are both checkm8 vulnerable devices and it has already been done on the ipod touch 4 that had the same cpu than the iphone 4 but was limited to iOS 6

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

there is only one reason, 5 OS updates for the base iPads, regarless of specs, the path has been stable for pro/air 2 (7 updates) since the air 2 and even devices with more RAM / better CPU have been receaving the exact same number of updates

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
They are both checkm8 vulnerable devices and it has already been done on the ipod touch 4 that had the same cpu than the iphone 4 but was limited to iOS 6
Ah ok, wasn't aware of that. The question is how easy it will be to patch the device when new releases of iPadOS 18 are being pushed out.
Whats the main reason for wanting to install iPadOS 18?

destiouj-ely

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2024
Ah ok, wasn't aware of that. The question is how easy it will be to patch the device when new releases of iPadOS 18 are being pushed out.
Whats the main reason for wanting to install iPadOS 18?
Because the ipad 6 is an ipad 7 with 2 gigs of ram which is enough

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I don't think any of us know if 2GB of ram is enough. Are there any devices out there that support IpadOS 18 that has 2GB of ram?
Not sure how the screen size works, if its tied to the OS and that ipadOS 18 will drop support for 9.7 inch screens.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I seriously doubt 2GB of RAM is enough to even run ipados 18, let alone very well. Things like math notes are going to ask more than 2GB of physical total RAM.
Besides, where is that impression iPadOS 18 only needing 2GB of RAM? It cannot even support stage manager well.

destiouj-ely

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2024
I seriously doubt 2GB of RAM is enough to even run ipados 18, let alone very well. Things like math notes are going to ask more than 2GB of physical total RAM.
Besides, where is that impression iPadOS 18 only needing 2GB of RAM? It cannot even support stage manager well.
17 is smooth

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
The iPod touch fourth generation only had 256 MB of RAM compared to the iPhone 4’s 512 MB.
Same is true here, every device running iOS and iPadOS 18 needs at least 3 GB of RAM or more, and the iPad 6 only has two.

The 2017 iPad pros though? Those are just confusing.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The iPod touch fourth generation only had 256 MB of RAM compared to the iPhone 4’s 512 MB.
Same is true here, every device running iOS and iPadOS 18 needs at least 3 GB of RAM or more, and the iPad 6 only has two.

The 2017 iPad pros though? Those are just confusing.
iPadOS 18 probably doesn't need any more RAM, it's just an arbitrary decision to give a given number of updates to each device, specs don't matter, the source of confusion is people assuming updates are based on specs

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
iPadOS 18 probably doesn't need any more RAM, it's just an arbitrary decision to give a given number of updates to each device, specs don't matter, the source of confusion is people assuming updates are based on specs

Unfortunately it’s now not about specs though I wish 7th gen iPad got the A12 instead of the A10

Because iPadOS 16 got delayed by a month the Air 2 managed to just get over 8 years and 2 days before that came out ( October 22nd 2014 to October 24th 2022)

• Love

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Unfortunately it’s now not about specs though I wish 7th gen iPad got the A12 instead of the A10

Because iPadOS 16 got delayed by a month the Air 2 managed to just get over 8 years and 2 days before that came out ( October 22nd 2014 to October 24th 2022)
As I have mentioned in other threads it's not about years either indeed. It's about OS updates. And iPad that is released in June will get one less OS update than an iPad that is relased in October the same year with a new OS version, since those couple of months count as it's first OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.