Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
is it "csrustil disable"/"csrustil enable "or "csrutil disable"/"csrutil enable" , in order to disable/enable SIP? or is this not even on 10.6.8? i foolishly tried a hex edit on a usb plugin, in order to get my brand new Super Drive to be useable on snow leopard, can I re-enable SIP after changing the Boot.plist? .... even removed a "Signature" file via Terminal. Here are the detailed instructions I followed?

hex edit way:

Open a terminal

Go to the location where all the storage kexts are (which is within an umbrella kext called AppleStorageDrivers.kext)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext/Contents/PlugIns

Make a copy of your original AppleUSBODD.kext

(to the desktop for now, store in a safe place later – in case something goes wrong you can copy it back!)

sudo cp -R AppleUSBODD.kext ~/Desktop

Make the binary file writable so you can patch it:

sudo chmod 666 AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBODD

Use the hex editor to open the file AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBODD

Patch:
at file offset 0x1CF8, convert 0x75 into 0xEB
at file offset 0xBB25, convert 0x75 into 0xEB
(if you find something else than 0x75 at these locations, you probably have another version of Mac OS X or the driver. If so, don’t patch, or it means asking for serious trouble)Save the patched fileRemove the signature. I was very surprised that there’s nothing more to it, to make the patched kext load:

sudo rm -R AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature

Restore the permissions, and make sure the owner is root:wheel, in case your hex editor has modified it.

sudo chmod 644 AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBODD

sudo chown root:wheel AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBODD

Make a copy of that patched driver to a safe place. In case a system update overwites the driver with a new unpatched build, chances are high you can just copy this patched version back to make the external SuperDrive work again.Plug in the drive and enjoy! (If it does not work right away, restart the machine once).

non hex edit way:

open a terminal

type the following two commands (two lines, each “sudo” starting on a new line)

sudo plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Insert mbasd=1 in the <string></string> value below the <key>Kernel Flags</key> (If and only if there is already something written between <string> and </string>, then use a space to separate the mbasd=1 from what’s already there. Otherwise, avoid any extra spaces!). The file will then look like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>mbasd=1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

so am I screwed? In getting my "mbasd" to work with my mac mini? BTW, I have a Snow Leopard install disk to repair the system, but my bootup time is 11min! and turn off is 5! also no sound. The bootup tune does play tho. Which is a good sign...

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
too bad. But thanks for the reply. I bet the official apple forums have blocks on posting such content. Cause I tried on multiple browsers. And it kept saying I didn't have permission to edit or create this post?! sheesh!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
too bad. But thanks for the reply. I bet the official apple forums have blocks on posting such content. Cause I tried on multiple browsers. And it kept saying I didn't have permission to edit or create this post?! sheesh!
Did you try
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"
in Terminal?

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
not yet. but can I repair the usb plugin "Signature" I deleted? with my install disk?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I'm missing the back story. Is this a mini that is supposed to have an internal superdrive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.