Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
My mbp freezes after sleep(or while). This is started on version 13.6. I'm afraid of faulty update if my mac will crash while rebooting or something. I think it will be more secure to update it in background. Is it possible? Or can someone advise me how I can avoid problems. Thanks.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I would say this is how it works - it will prepare the update while you use the computer, then tell you when to restart.
Thank you for your attention. I meant it will restart several times, and while doing so, my mac may get stuck. This is what I'm afraid of. And this would be a 100% faulty update.

I was thinking about the possibility of using an external mac for installing updates on my primary mbp while it off. But this complicated af.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re-install from Recovery?
Create bootable installer and re-install from that?

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Re-install from Recovery?
Create bootable installer and re-install from that?
Thanks for your attention.
Mac crashing even if in secure boot. I don't think anything could solve this except sideload.
This was not a thing until Ventura. The only hope is that the update will instantly fix this bug.
Still waiting for advises.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Okay maybe I'm wrong about Recovery mode. I will research in that way. Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My mbp freezes after sleep(or while). This is started on version 13.6. I'm afraid of faulty update if my mac will crash while rebooting or something. I think it will be more secure to update it in background. Is it possible? Or can someone advise me how I can avoid problems. Thanks.
This is how most people do it. They go to "'settings" and enable automatic updates. Then is just works and now and then you get a message saying "Restart is required to install an update, OK?" It will give you the option of doing the restart now or later.

Only "True Geeks" will take the take to apply updates by hand and read each release note. That said, these forums are filled with True Geeks who care about reading such stuff. Normal users (1) put the updates on automatic. and (2) don't read mac forums.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
This is how most people do it. They go to "'settings" and enable automatic updates. Then is just works and now and then you get a message saying "Restart is required to install an update, OK?" It will give you the option of doing the restart now or later.

Only "True Geeks" will take the take to apply updates by hand and read each release note. That said, these forums are filled with True Geeks who care about reading such stuff. Normal users (1) put the updates on automatic. and (2) don't read mac forums.
I'm not a geek. This is my working laptop. And as I know, by far, If it gets stuck while installing updates, I may be in big trouble. This is why I'm here. I don't want to cure - I want to evade problems.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I know exactly conditions when the computer may be stuck. But I can't be sure those conditions won't raise in the update process.

Is it the only way to give my laptop to the mercy of fate and then create a "black screen after update" thread?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm not a geek. This is my working laptop. And as I know, by far, If it gets stuck while installing updates, I may be in big trouble. This is why I'm here. I don't want to cure - I want to evade problems.
Of course, I was half joking. The people who use automation spend less time messing with their computers. And like I said, if you ask here you will find people who LIKE messing with the computer. It is not worth it to worry about things that almost never happen.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
You shouldn't worry about this. Unless there is some kind of hardware problem on the mac, a regular install prosedure will not crash. And should lightning strike and screw it up, you can just try again. (A failed install will result in the mac booting to the recovery partition and you will have the option to install again). A standard update erases the system volume, creates a new one and installs the complete system. Simply go to System Settings in the apple menu and choose to "Upgrade now", and the latest version of mac Sonoma will be installed. All your files and settings will be untouched, as they are on the sparate " - Data" volume.

Be aware that the process may seem erratic, with multiple startup chimes, apple logo showing, not showing, progress bar not moving, perhaps even periods of black screen. Be patient, after an hour or two, you shold be up and running.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It would help if you told us WHICH Mac you have, what year it was made.
Which OS, too - though I take it that it's Ventura.

If so, you probably won't lose anything by going to Sonoma.

With the coming of the m-series Macs, system software updates seem to take less time than they used to.
This is because the "first half" of the update (download and "preparation") is happening in the background, and you can run other apps while it's going on.
Then, there's going to be the mandatory "reboot" (actually several of them), while the firmware gets updated, software gets moved into place, etc.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Do you have your Laptop backup’d? If so don’t worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.