Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Hello,

I have a late 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. Recently, I just checked the temps via iStat Pro and saw that during gameplay gpu temp rises up to 80 Celsius degree. However, the fans were spinning at about 2700 rpm. It was not like that before. Generally, the fans used to kick in and max temps wouldn't go over 75 celcius.

I tried doing SMC reset firstly, but it didn't affect anything. I'm using the latest MacOS 10.13.1. Is Apple really don't want to kick the fans before it gets too hot?

Then I install Macs Fan Control app and set a fan profile. It is the first time for me installing an app like that on my Mac. So, I would like to learn if it hurts my system in the future? Altering the fan profile other than Apple's default settings will make any trouble?

Thanks

edit: With the app installed, the temps don't go over 70 Celsius generally w/ a fan speed about 4000-4500 rpm.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Interesting - I know the traditional view is that Apple are conservative about turning the fans on in general, waiting until the temperatures get quite toasty to turn them on or ramp them up rather than engaging them sooner to keep temperatures lower. I guess it’s a noise and battery life design decision on their part. Ultimately, as long as the cpu isn’t going above 100C it shouldn’t be doing any damage; and if it does the CPU is designed to throttle itself anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.