Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmpnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
Hi, I use my Mac everyday for my personal consulting practice and personal use. I work with a lot of data and Vmware. Considering it's taking weeks to get a new Macbook Pro and my current is 7 years old, are people still sticking with their 2015 Macbook Pros? Mine is a 2015 Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 1tb SSD. It's been good and now everything I do is mostly in the cloud. What are you all thinking about replacing?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
First off, VMWare does not work with the new Macs. So you'll loose that as soon as you upgrade. Second, is your current Mac limited in processing? I would personally gage the ability to function in my work environment to evaluate upgrading. After all, my late 2008 Mac worked fine till like 2020. I got my M1 a year later.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Ha, I just bought a 2015 MacBook Pro yesterday! After previously owning several of the 2016-2019 models, as well as a 2020 M1 MacBook Air, I can tell you a few things...

Unless you're moving up to the new 14"/16" models, the screens have not really improved (already great to begin with). If you're sticking with Intel, your keyboard experience will be worse, guaranteed. The 2015 keyboard seems better to me than the 2019 (16")/2020/2021 models, although those are not bad. You'll just want to avoid 2016-2019.

If you're moving over to the M1 line, then you're in for a great, cool (i.e. not burning hot) experience with amazing battery life. But of course no VMware.

Last edited:

bringel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
I am still using my mid 2014 MBP which would be very similar to your configuration. The main reason I am holding back upgrading is because I still use a couple 32 bit applications that have no updates to 64 bit and I refused to buy any new MacBook until Apple expanded the port connectivity from the previous 2019 models.
Be sure to check to see if you have any 32 bit apps that you depend on. You can use the free utility "GO64.app" which produces a very good listing of all your apps.
Once the availability of the new 2021 MacBook Pro's improves, I will seriously consider upgrading.

Reactions: appltech

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pro 15s and a 2021 MacBook Pro 16. I have not used the 2015 in a couple of weeks and my son uses the 2014 for work though he also has a work-issue 2021 MacBook Pro 14 that's nicely equipped. I would not buy an Intel MacBook with the TouchBar or keyboard issues.

I have a Windows desktop and a couple of old iMacs if I need to run 32-bit programs, VMWare, VirtualBox or KVM/QEMU.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I'm in the same boat with the exact same MBP. I bought a new 2015 MBP - they were still making and selling them in 2017 when I got it - and skipped the 2016-2019 models for all of 'those' reasons. With the new MBP 14" (or 16") as everyone has noted, it may be the perfect upgrade for the now 'classic' 2015, and everything I could want. If I felt comfortable spending the funds I would have already done the deed. But, I really don't need it. The 2015 MBP is still the same computer that I bought it for; great display and keyboard, ports, [mostly] fast enough for my work, and form factor. The 2021 MBP would be a total upgrade in every way, and I'll do it in time (sooner or later), but for now, I've double-downed and recently bought an old Thunderbolt Display (boxed, like new, and a couple of hundred dollars) that pairs perfectly with the 2015 MBP Thunderbolt 2 port and MagSafe charging and gives me something shiny bright and new [to me] for photography/video viewing and editing. I've resigned myself to living in the digital past for the time being. I guess I'm just not desperate and can wait till it is really necessary. The mini-LED would be nice, and the M1 processing power, the 'new' factor, are the reasons, and I am not at the point the cost of upgrading tips the scale to make the switch. If you have decided yourself that it's time, do check the APPLE refurbished store. They have computers available for purchase now and save on the cost of what is a like-new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.