Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
What rumors? So far there's very little known (assuming the leak today is true). Thinner body, lighter, only USB-C ports are the only known things. Kinda hard to say whether or not it's worth the upgrade.

I will say that the 2012 rMBP has aged incredibly nicely. Sure the latest models have nice features but nothing has fundamentally changed in these last few years. A few years back a 4-5 year old laptop would show its age so significantly; even Macs fell victim to this simply because the innovation was so high in the industry (the addition of SSDs, significant battery improvements, mobility improvements, quad-core processors). Nowadays, with the focus on other electronics, it doesn't feel like I have such an antiquated device. I feel my 2012 still has a lot of life left. I'll probably resell soon, but it's nice to know that my ~$2000 investment 4 years ago payed off so nicely.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Just wondering: Is it worth it to upgrade from a fairly base model mid 2012 15" rMBP to the inevitable 2016 version if the rumors are true?

I have a similar machine to yours (early 2013 15" rMBP) and I can't imagine what they'd have to include in the 2016 model to make me upgrade. This "old" machine does everything I could ask it to (PS, LR, AE, FCPX etc.) and still has a gorgeous screen and great keyboard.

Reactions: MNR and ABC5S

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Secret Bunker Testing 2018 17" MBP
What rumors? So far there's very little known (assuming the leak today is true). Thinner body, lighter, only USB-C ports are the only known things. Kinda hard to say whether or not it's worth the upgrade.

I will say that the 2012 rMBP has aged incredibly nicely. Sure the latest models have nice features but nothing has fundamentally changed in these last few years. A few years back a 4-5 year old laptop would show its age so significantly; even Macs fell victim to this simply because the innovation was so high in the industry (the addition of SSDs, significant battery improvements, mobility improvements, quad-core processors). Nowadays, with the focus on other electronics, it doesn't feel like I have such an antiquated device. I feel my 2012 still has a lot of life left. I'll probably resell soon, but it's nice to know that my ~$2000 investment 4 years ago payed off so nicely.

Yah, it really has aged pretty well. My main concerns are that my SSD is full and I can't seem to figure out what is taking up the space that isn't essential. Plus I really could use at least 512 GB internal. And I'm starting to notice that fairly often I get a rainbow pinwheel when trying to do basic things. Example: Switching from safari to activity monitor to see what is slowing down my computer and having only those two apps open at the time. Little things like that that have never seemed to be any trouble in the past are slowly starting to cause more and more problems. I end up having to restart my machine to fix the issues, and while I know this is pure idiocy for someone who grew up with technology, I forget to save my documents all the time so they are all lost. I never save until I'm done with some chunk of what I'm doing (bad, I know). It just seemed like it was on its last legs. It takes me 10 x as long to boot as it did 3 years ago.

If I might ask, what do you use your laptop for? I need to gauge whether its an issue with the software/OS X on my device or really the hardware losing its bite. You're time is much appreciated.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
There really aren't any rumors, aside from the fact that there are 4 USB-C's. This is definitely a device that is future-proofed. I'd say that the 2012 rMBP is still very solid - the retina MacBook Pro lineup hasn't had any drastic changes in terms of its performance from 2012 to 2015.

If you are content with your computer, I would say give it until next year. That way, you can gauge to see how the new MacBook Pro's are being reviewed (Both initially and in the long term), and if they seem to make you want it, then you can wait for Kabylake to appear in a definitively better year 2 of the new MacBook Pro's.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: wlossw and ABC5S

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
There really aren't any rumors, aside from the fact that there are 4 USB-C's. This is definitely a device that is future-proofed. I'd say that the 2012 rMBP is still very solid - the retina MacBook Pro lineup hasn't had any drastic changes in terms of its performance from 2012 to 2015.

If you are content with your computer, I would say give it until next year. That way, you can gauge to see how the new MacBook Pro's are being reviewed (Both initially and in the long term), and if they seem to make you want it, then you can wait for Kabylake to appear in a definitively better year 2 of the new MacBook Pro's.

Just my $0.02

Thanks, I appreciate it

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Depends on what you do with your laptop... But generally speaking... an upgrade might be worthwhile if:
- You got the money
- Your computer is starting to struggle with the basic things you need it for
- You accidentally run it over within hours of the announcement of the new one

Royljw

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
I have a 2012 13'' rRBP with 8G RAM and 128GB SSD and it runs pretty well. I think the only motivation for me to upgrade it is I want something new..

Reactions: arefbe and ABC5S

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I have a mid-2012 rMBP with i7 CPU. My machine has not slowed down, but I do a fresh install every year and make sure there's at least 50GB free on the SSD. I don't ever see the magic ball. Photoshop and other similar applications runs smoothly, so does having a ton of apps open at the same time.

Perhaps it'd be worth doing a fresh install + cleaning up your files and see if that improves things?

With that said, the only reason I will be selling it off this year is because I want to be able to run a 4k external monitor off of it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it worth it to upgrade from a fairly base model mid 2012 15" rMBP

It all depends on what you do and want to do with the computer

And I'm starting to notice that fairly often I get a rainbow pinwheel when trying to do basic things. Example: Switching from safari to activity
Did you try backing up the computer, and doing a fresh install of OS X? I bet that will make the computer feel almost new.

FWIW, my 2012 rMBP is not suffering from any of those maladies, I'm finding it still fairly quick and responsive.

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Thanks, that's the one thing that just slipped my mind. I'll definitely give the fresh install a try tonight. But for the SSD, I tried deleting everything, but for some reason I just can't free up enough. I moved all my files (or so I think) over to an external drive then deleted them, but I'm still seeing only ~25 GB left.

SoundsEclectic

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
Thanks, that's the one thing that just slipped my mind. I'll definitely give the fresh install a try tonight. But for the SSD, I tried deleting everything, but for some reason I just can't free up enough. I moved all my files (or so I think) over to an external drive then deleted them, but I'm still seeing only ~25 GB left.

I would not waste your money on a 2015 macbook. I just bought a 2015 15" MBP after borrowing a 2012 MBP i5 8GB one from work for a month and yes mine is faster but the 2012 one is no slouch and is more than adequate to handle the average person's computing needs.

Now if you are a power user doing heavy video and/or audio and have the need, then go for it. Otherwise do a fresh install and save your money.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Deleting everything in the downloads folder often frees up a lot of space for me. I think I got 10-15 GB back when I did it last time.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
For me I need to replace mine. The GT 650M in my 2013 rMBP just does not cut the mustard anymore for me. It is too slow to do anything graphically intensive especially running the huge screen res. I doubt I will change to a 2016 model though if the rumours are true. It's also unlikely Apple will change much on the GPU front either. The top of the line 15 will most likely have another low to mid range card put in it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Just wondering: Is it worth it to upgrade from a fairly base model mid 2012 15" rMBP to the inevitable 2016 version if the rumors are true?
The 2012 machine you have is still very capable. It's not that much behind current offerings. The SSD is upgradable in that year model.

The slowdowns you're experiencing are software or hardware related but indicate some kind of a problem. It shouldn't be slow.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'll say probably not. I'd use your 2012 until it breaks, or something gets released using the intel x-point memory. My guess at an eta for that is possibly 2017 - 2018. But who knows, maybe the 2016 has it.

Wait until the spec comes out.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Not worth it in my view. If you have a 4 year old, quad-core machine, and you're using that machine for its processing power, I don't think you're going to find 2016's version that much more impressive. What are your current needs? That's the question. I have two machines currently: 2009C2D white macbook, and Mid-2015 15" rMBP. They perform equally well when it comes to basic computing needs. I have the Quad-pro for modeling and statistical work, which the 2009 C2D just can't do (my work needs changed from 09 to 2015). But if I need to type documents, surf the web, listen to music, watch videos, etc... No difference. In fact prefer the White Macbook for its keyboard. So anytime I do report editing or writing, I use the older machine. I have no desire to update to any new computer right now, and I can foresee myself using both of these machines for the next 5-10 years or for as long as they last. I think the new trend should be "how long can I make this amazing machine last?" I think you can probably make your current rMBP last at least another 3-5 years.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
The 2012 machine you have is still very capable. It's not that much behind current offerings. The SSD is upgradable in that year model.

The slowdowns you're experiencing are software or hardware related but indicate some kind of a problem. It shouldn't be slow.

Agreed with your post. I have a Transcend SSD I swapped out for my stock rMBP SSD. Literally takes 5 minutes to complete the whole process. Now I have a 256GB 3.0 external drivefrom my rMBP, and I have a 500GB internal drive in my laptop now. I've noticed it's slightly snappier, but I really just needed the space.

As to snaky69's point, it really isn't too far behind today's models. The rMBP hasn't seen a proper update in a while. I'd expect the new models to have fairly significant upgrades, however a good way to look at your 2012 is its only a couple processor gens behind what Apple's selling today. That should make you feel confident your machine can last another 5 years if that's what you're looking for.

Reactions: The Reasonable One

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
The slowdown you are experiencing may be caused by a full SSD. You should consider upgrading your SSD.

Transcend JetDrive 725

960GB: $500

480 $280

* You also get an enclosure that turns your old SSD into an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.