Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I currently have D40 and I'm pretty happy with it. It has a few annoyances here and there, but nothing too major.

I was looking at some reviews of the D80 and pricing on Amazon. I saw this deal from Cameta Camera and it seemed pretty sweet. (They have a 97% rating on amazon and they are gold on resellerratings). The cost to get two more lenses for the D40 would be around the same price of upgrading to this Kit after selling the D40.

Is the D80 paired with both a Tamron 28-80mm and a Tamron 70-300mm worth the selling of my D40?

Thanks in advance.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
What is the D40 not doing for you? Are the Tamron lenses the ones you currently have?

If you are disappointed in image quality, changing bodies isn't going to really help. Getting good glass is the best thing to do.

If you want to use older AF and MF lenses, then the D80 will help. Bigger body, ability to add vertical grip, better AF, and a top LCD screen are some nice additions. If you think those features are worth it for you, then I say go and buy what you want.

ahuyevshi

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
What is the D40 not doing for you? Are the Tamron lenses the ones you currently have?

If you are disappointed in image quality, changing bodies isn't going to really help. Getting good glass is the best thing to do.

If you want to use older AF and MF lenses, then the D80 will help. Bigger body, ability to add vertical grip, better AF, and a top LCD screen are some nice additions. If you think those features are worth it for you, then I say go and buy what you want.

I have to agree.... Bodies will always come and go, but spend your money on good glass....

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I want to get both those Tamron lenses, because I'm not very fond of the 18-55mm kit. If I sell the D40 and get that deal, I'm pretty much saving money as both of those lenses together would be more than the $370 dollar gap that I am expecting between my D40 selling price and the deal on Amazon.

I don't know if that made any sense.

vandi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Atlanta
All in know

All i know is that so far for sound video and photography, the best prices for new gear is found with B&H. You may be familiar with it. the website is bhphotovideo.com. Awesome people and helpful too.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I just upgraded from the D50 to the D80. Great camera. Got it for $909 from Beach Camera. I kept my D50 though, because it was my first SLR and I'm going to use it strictly for work. I will use the D80 for school and everything else.

As for the D40 to the D80. The size difference may be an issue. I prefer the size of the D50/70/80's as opposed to the 40. The top backlite LCD is nice as well. You get a bigger viewfinder as well, I believe. I would probably get it if you really need it, if you're just using the camera for recreational stuff I'd probably just keep the D40 and invest in some good glass and possibly upgrade to a better body later on down the road when you really need to.

I've never used Tamron lenses. I usually stick to Nikor.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why are you considering upgrading the D40? Need better image quality? If so a pair of cheap Tamron f/5.6 lenses will not help. What matter is the Lens. Not only that but look at the ranges they offer. 28mm is not nearly wide enough. You need a lens that opens up to at leat 18mm. If you are looking for better quality than the 18-55 kit lens offers the most cost effective move is to buy a 50mm prime. That and the 85mm are outstanding and low priced if you go for the slightly slower f/1.8 versions.

Look at your photos you made with the D40. What is wrong with them, and also, what photos do you not have because your current setup could not capture the image? Be objective and make a list. What is lacking in your collection of images? Then upgrade
ONLY if the upgrade address those issues you can SEE and point to.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
vandi said:
All i know is that so far for sound video and photography, the best prices for new gear is found with B&H. You may be familiar with it. the website is bhphotovideo.com. Awesome people and helpful too.
Yeah, B&H is awesome and I got my D40 from them. I just went downtown to their superstore since I live in NYC.

GnarleyMarley87 said:
I just upgraded from the D50 to the D80. Great camera. Got it for $909 from Beach Camera. I kept my D50 though, because it was my first SLR and I'm going to use it strictly for work. I will use the D80 for school and everything else.

As for the D40 to the D80. The size difference may be an issue. I prefer the size of the D50/70/80's as opposed to the 40. The top backlite LCD is nice as well. You get a bigger viewfinder as well, I believe. I would probably get it if you really need it, if you're just using the camera for recreational stuff I'd probably just keep the D40 and invest in some good glass and possibly upgrade to a better body later on down the road when you really need to.

I've never used Tamron lenses. I usually stick to Nikor.
Ah, so you went with the D80 instead of the D40x.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I've searched Google and read some positive reviews on these two Tamron lenses.

Seems like a two in one deal to me. I'm getting a couple good lenses while upgrading my body as well. I'm going to read up on some Nikkor lenses too.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
ChrisA said:
Why are you considering upgrading the D40? Need better image quality? If so a pair of cheap Tamron f/5.6 lenses will not help. What matter is the Lens. Not only that but look at the ranges they offer. 28mm is not nearly wide enough. You need a lens tht opens up to at leat 18mm.

Look at your photos you made with the D40. What is wrong with them, and also, what photos do you not have because your current setup could not capture the image? Be objective and make a list. What is lacking in your collection of images? Then upgrade
ONLY if the upgrade address those issues you can SEE and point to.
While the reviews for the lenses I've read have been good, all have mentioned something like, "good for what I paid".

I've looked at my photos and have compiled a list.

1) I need a much longer lens. There have been so many times where I wish I had more than 55mm. Such as at the Mets game this past Sunday, while I was on the bottom section of the stadium and only seven rows up, most of my crops haven't come out looking too crisp.

2) I want to get into HDR photography. The D40 doesn't feature auto-bracketing, which I've heard makes doing HDR a nightmare when you have to switch the settings in Aperture Priority everytime you take one.

3) We just moved to a different apartment in NYC, and our walls are pretty barren right now. I'd like to make some big prints to hang up, but I don't think 6 megapixels will be enough for to have crisp and clear prints upwards of/around 20''.

4) Not exactly sure about this one, but if the D80 spits out more pixels, doesn't that mean that the image will be crisper?

I've pretty much given up the Tamron lenses now and I'm looking at the D80 kit with the Nikkor 18-135mm lens.

Right now I'm more of a hobbyist photographer, but I'm hoping to get more serious with it.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
While the reviews for the lenses I've read have been good, all have mentioned something like, "good for what I paid".

I've looked at my photos and have compiled a list.

1) I need a much longer lens. There have been so many times where I wish I had more than 55mm. Such as at the Mets game this past Sunday, while I was on the bottom section of the stadium and only seven rows up, most of my crops haven't come out looking too crisp.
Try the amazing 80-200mm f/2.8, which is only $430 used at adorama. That is a steal. If I shot Nikon, I'd buy it right now.
2) I want to get into HDR photography. The D40 doesn't feature auto-bracketing, which I've heard makes doing HDR a nightmare when you have to switch the settings in Aperture Priority everytime you take one.
Yes. This is why you should use Manual mode, not aperture priority/auto bracketing for HDR. Auto bracketing only gives you 3 exposures to work with, anyway, which isn't really enough for anything great. The best HDR images out there are 6-9 individual images with the same DoF (aperture) and varying E.V. values (shutter speed).
3) We just moved to a different apartment in NYC, and our walls are pretty barren right now. I'd like to make some big prints to hang up, but I don't think 6 megapixels will be enough for to have crisp and clear prints upwards of/around 20''.
First off, you can always use genuine fractal or bicubic image resampling in photoshop to enlarge prints. Secondly, the more pixel dense a sensor is, the more noise it will have. This is not a good thing. Considering that big prints are usually viewed from a moderate distance, they don't need immense resolution. You can print 20" wide images at 150dpi (not too bad) from your D40 without any upscaling. With some PS action, these sorts of prints should be no problem.
4) Not exactly sure about this one, but if the D80 spits out more pixels, doesn't that mean that the image will be crisper?

Nope. The best way to a sharper picture is a steady tripod, shutter remote, and use of mirror lock-up function. After this, pro lenses make the biggest difference.
I've pretty much given up the Tamron lenses now and I'm looking at the D80 kit with the Nikkor 18-135mm lens.
EEEK! If you care at all about image quality, you should know that the longer a zoom's range is, the worse it tends to be in terms of sharpness, saturation, and such. The 18-200VR and Sigma 50-500 are commonly accepted as exceptions to this theory. Think about something in the 17-50 range and something else for the 70-200 range.
Right now I'm more of a hobbyist photographer, but I'm hoping to get more serious with it.
The way to get more serious is by shooting a lot and working on photo skills. I looked at your flickr page and really liked your images, but feel like I should mention that a relatively inexpensive photo course at a local art center does a lot more good in the long run than expensive equipment.

Answers to contentions in red. This text typed to meet minimum post length quota.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ah, so you went with the D80 instead of the D40x.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I've searched Google and read some positive reviews on these two Tamron lenses.

Seems like a two in one deal to me. I'm getting a couple good lenses while upgrading my body as well. I'm going to read up on some Nikkor lenses too.

Yeah I did. I could have probably saved a few bucks and got the D80 in a kit with some decent lenses, but you're probably going to keep the lenses at least 5x as long as the body. So if your going to get a lens, it might as well be something that's worth owning.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I keep hearing rumors about new Nikon lenses "in spring" - if I were looking at anything that's not currently AF-S, I'd probably wait until mid-summer before buying. I know I'm holding off on buying a couple primes, just in case.

As far as 6MP vs. 10MP goes - unless you really think the pixels are the limiting factor in your photography, there's no point in upgrading to get more of them. I think for a lot of people it's probably technique that's the limiting factor (and frankly, I think that's the case for me).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Try the amazing 80-200mm f/2.8, which is only $430 used at adorama. That is a steal. If I shot Nikon, I'd buy it right now.

I don't think I'll buy another telephoto that doesn't have VR. The majority of the time I don't use it; but it is REALLY handy for some shots.

I freely admit this is going to vary from person to person - I don't use a tripod much at all (although I just bought an Ultrapod Digital to throw in my bag).

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I'm still throwing things around in my head. I could sell the D40 kit to B&H as a used item and get a nice amount of cash in return, but I could always just keep the D40 and go with the lens that wmmk pointed out.

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
caution on the 430 buck 80-200, it's just G condition, which means that it shows heavy wear and possible glass scratches...which means that you'd probably be better off just paying the 900 for a new one from b and h because scratched glass won't help you at all...

as far as the OP, the d80 is a GREAT camera and if the tamron lenses are what you are looking for, then I would go with that package. But, nothing can beat good glass from the start...

Allstermac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
I got flamed by some but I had the D40 and went to the 80... I can not speak for the bundled lens, but the D80 is worth the upgrade... for me with my old eyes, the photos come out better.. either the auto focus was defective in my 40 or the 80 is that much better. That and the 80 gives you more len's to choose from... just picked up a nikon 50 1.4 and love it!

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I haven't decided on the D80 vs. D40 debate, but I'm almost definite that I want the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VR lens. Now that lens has gotten some great reviews.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I haven't decided on the D80 vs. D40 debate, but I'm almost definite that I want the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VR lens. Now that lens has gotten some great reviews.

It is a GREAT lens.

If supply is an issue (as it has been), you might consider using one of the sites that'll let you order when it's out of stock. I normally buy stuff from B&H or Adorama, but they won't let you do this. So I ended up ordering my 18-200 from Ritz (well, photoalley.com technically) - and then waited for several months... :p

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
caution on the 430 buck 80-200, it's just G condition, which means that it shows heavy wear and possible glass scratches...which means that you'd probably be better off just paying the 900 for a new one from b and h because scratched glass won't help you at all...

as far as the OP, the d80 is a GREAT camera and if the tamron lenses are what you are looking for, then I would go with that package. But, nothing can beat good glass from the start...
Whoa, thanks for pointing that out. It's dumb that G (implying good) means that glass can actually be scratched. If only all used photo gear sites rated as conservatively as keh.

Yeah. I'm not even a Nikon guy and I think it's a great lens. Still, if you're cost conscious, you may think about the 55-200 VR. It has the same optics as the 18-200 for a third of the price. As long as you don't switch lenses a ton, the 55-200 makes much more sense for you, assuming you already have the kit 18-55.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Thanks so much for all of your insight guys. I'm going to keep the D40 and probably go with the 18-200 AF-S VR sometime in the near future. I appreciate all of your opinions on this matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.