Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBIg5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
I got a iMac G5 20" from a family member. I installed Linux on it but have some problems. I am wondering if Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is safe to use in 2017? If any vulnerabilities, are there fixes/patches?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
… are there fixes/patches?
Apple's idea of a fix or patch is an upgrade.

Apple upgrades generally tend to require newer hardware.

Since Apple only patches recent OS versions on recent hardware then you may assume the answer to the question of "are there fixes/patches" is…no.

Leopard was released in 2008 and support for the final version ended on June 23, 2011.

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
That was a great read. Thank you.

One other security suggestion, I might add, is not to publicly discuss security as this can open up more known vectors -- there, I just broke my own rule. ;) I think that all of the suggestions are excellent, by the way, and pretty much all of them apply just as much to other systems new and old, not just Mac OS X 10.5.8. Having read that the article, I might trust PowerPC Macs more than I would so-called "modern" hardware: (ie. avoiding all modern Intel hardware: Intel Management Engine.)

Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.