Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DC41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Silicon Info reports that Microsoft Edge is M1 enabled, and isapplesiliconready.com says that it has been since version 88 (currently running 90). But check out my screenshot. It shows Edge as Intel. Have I downloaded the wrong version and have been running Rosette this whole time, or did some over-worked programmer just forget to update the datafield?

If someone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MS Edge Intel.png

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
You have to download the M1 version from the Microsoft website, that one would be the universal binary version.

Reactions: DC41

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Silicon Info reports that Microsoft Edge is M1 enabled, and isapplesiliconready.com says that it has been since version 88 (currently running 90). But check out my screenshot. It shows Edge as Intel. Have I downloaded the wrong version and have been running Rosette this whole time, or did some over-worked programmer just forget to update the datafield?

If someone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

View attachment 1782186

Those fields aren't data fields that need to be manually updated. The "Kind" field is dynamically determined based on the executable file itself

DC41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Yep! Just visited the MS download site and made sure this time to choose Apple Silicon. Now it shows up as Universal.

Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yep! Just visited the MS download site and made sure this time to choose Apple Silicon. Now it shows up as Universal.

Thanks!

Peculiar that they have a split download, one for Intel and one for "Apple chips", when the Apple chips one is a universal binary anyway. I verified that at least the installer pkg is indeed universal
1622054288249.png

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Google Chrome and VLC I know are a couple apps that also have this weird split version system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.