Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassandrabbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
The day before yesterday my Apple Watch ran out of battery. I put it in the charge overnight but when I woke up it hadn’t charged. And now when I try to charge it it gets hot and stucks on powersaving mode. It shows a green lightning for a few minutes then it gets overheated and shows a red lightning instead. I’ve put the charger in the computer and it started up like normal, but only charged for 5%. Now it’s stuck on powersaving mode again and gets hot.
I’ve tried to reset it but it doesn’t work. Has anyone had the same problem? My warranty has ran out since I bought it from a friend.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
make sure everything is clean, wipe the back of the watch and also the front of the charger with a slightly damp cloth.
I've had gunk get transferred from the back of the watch and build up on the charger over time and it prevented me from charging.

also try a force restart, press both the button and the crown for 10 seconds.

Cassandrabbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
make sure everything is clean, wipe the back of the watch and also the front of the charger with a slightly damp cloth.
I've had gunk get transferred from the back of the watch and build up on the charger over time and it prevented me from charging.

also try a force restart, press both the button and the crown for 10 seconds.

I’ve tried both of it... I haven’t tried a different charger tho

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve tried both of it... I haven’t tried a different charger tho

The fact the watch is actually getting ‘hot’, I wouldn’t even try charging it anymore and contact Apple directly. At this point, I’d say it’s just unsafe to use, especially charging unattended.

Cassandrabbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
The fact the watch is actually getting ‘hot’, I wouldn’t even try charging it anymore and contact Apple directly. At this point, I’d say it’s just unsafe to use, especially charging unattended.

yeah maybe,I’ve got no warranty tho... would cost me more to repair it than I bought it for...?

Jglez

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2020
Berlin, Germany
yeah maybe,I’ve got no warranty tho... would cost me more to repair it than I bought it for...?
Before saying this, I would advise you to go to an Apple Store and get them to quote a repair.

There is a chance it’s a small repair that is cheap, or a more expensive repair. Let’s let them diagnose it and quote it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.