Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
Hi,

First, sorry if my english isn't perfect ;)

A few weeks ago, I start earing like a "poping sound" from the bottom of my 2014 13 inch MacBook pro when he was running hot.
I was thinking of a moving screw so I bought a pentalobe screwdriver.
I take the opportunity to open the MBP for a little dust cleaning.

When I open and clean it, I see that the 2 cells, left and right of the touchpad are a bit swollen. I take pictures, what do you think ?

Has my battery start swolling ?

Thank you for your help :)

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You should look into a battery replacement.. or maybe use this as an excuse to buy a new MBP.

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of ...

A new battery cost 209€ here, that almost half of what I might sell it. And the screen start peeling few month ago (after the end of the 4 years warranty for this issue)

I was planning to change it for a new 13 inch, but it's killing me to buy a crappy butterfly keyboard after waiting so long with my current MBP for a scissor keyboard. But no idea when the 13 inch will be update in 2020...

No so easy, bad timing ?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of ...

A new battery cost 209€ here, that almost half of what I might sell it. And the screen start peeling few month ago (after the end of the 4 years warranty for this issue)

I was planning to change it for a new 13 inch, but it's killing me to buy a crappy butterfly keyboard after waiting so long with my current MBP for a scissor keyboard. But no idea when the 13 inch will be update in 2020...

No so easy, bad timing ?
There is no guarantee that the butterfly keyboard will fail. I own a 2017 MacBook Pro (non-touch bar) and a 2019 MacBook Air, and I have not had any problems with the butterfly keyboards on either model.

What is the ratio of butterfly keyboard equipped devices sold as opposed to butterfly keyboard problems reported? We are often made aware of the problems without ever hearing from the people who are happy with their devices. This makes the problems seem much more devastating than they truly are.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I have a 2016 MBP and 2015 MacBook that have never experienced any keyboard issues (although neither one of them has seen heavy typing use). But I do think it's probably just a matter of time before all butterfly keyboards start to have issues. But Apple has extended the warranty on the butterfly keyboards, so depending on how long you want to keep it, it might not be too bad to get one even now.

It is possible to swap out a battery on a 2014 MBP yourself, but it is complicated by the fact that the batteries are glued in. I did it on my 15" model by following a YouTube video that suggested using a length of twine to "saw" through the adhesive, and that actually worked pretty well. Managed to replace my battery for just $50.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have a 2016 MBP and 2015 MacBook that have never experienced any keyboard issues (although neither one of them has seen heavy typing use). But I do think it's probably just a matter of time before all butterfly keyboards start to have issues. But Apple has extended the warranty on the butterfly keyboards, so depending on how long you want to keep it, it might not be too bad to get one even now.

It is possible to swap out a battery on a 2014 MBP yourself, but it is complicated by the fact that the batteries are glued in. I did it on my 15" model by following a YouTube video that suggested using a length of twine to "saw" through the adhesive, and that actually worked pretty well. Managed to replace my battery for just $50.
If you could find that video I feel it might help the OP save some money. Also, I feel it might be beneficial to watch an ifixit teardown of the affected machine just to be more informed.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I specifically would not recommend the iFixit guide for battery replacement because they want you to disassemble much of the computer and then use adhesive remover to dissolve the adhesive. This approach takes much longer and makes it very likely that you will break something in the process. The video I used was for the 15" but this one looks pretty good:

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
Usually I keep my Macs between 3 to 4 years. This one, with 5 years is the max (thanks to the butterfly keyboard)

I could sell my 2014 (with warning of the buyer of course that battery has to be change), buy a refurbished 13" 2019, keep it 2 or 3 years and sell it in the 4 years keyboard warranty program.

Or try to change the battery of my 2014 and keep it a little longer.

I have to think about it

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I specifically would not recommend the iFixit guide for battery replacement because they want you to disassemble much of the computer and then use adhesive remover to dissolve the adhesive.
Thank you for that info! I wonder if dental floss would work well as it's quite strong.

EDIT: Nvm, after watching the video I realized they actually showed dental floss being used.

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
The video with dental floss is very good. I may give it a try, to make it a last a bit longer ! Just need to find a good quality battery.

Or go for a 2019 refurbished. Also a tempting choice :D

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The cost of having the battery replaced by Apple isn't really all that much more than you would pay for a new battery (which you'll have to install yourself). I'd take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store genius bar and have them do it (or they'll send it out).

Re the display:
A 2014 is "too late" to get the display replaced as a part of the StainGate warranty program.
I've seen postings and videos where some folks have literally "scrubbed off" all of the sprayed-on anti-glare coating. This gets rid of the streaks and "stains", but the screen will then be forever "glossy".

Reactions: Nic0

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The video with dental floss is very good. I may give it a try, to make it a last a bit longer ! Just need to find a good quality battery.

Or go for a 2019 refurbished. Also a tempting choice :D
If you take it to Apple you get a new battery and also a brand new top case, trackpad, and keyboard. It kind of feels like a new computer, and you get a battery that's more likely to outlast the mystery brand ones.

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
Thank you for your answers :)

For the staingate, it's not a big deal, it has just started to peel and I use it most of the time closed and connected to my 24 inch 4K screen.

For the battery, I agree with you after reading comments on quality on Amazon, I'm going to take an appointement at my local Apple Store after in january ;)

And I think this MBP will last 1 or 2 years more, i'm not motivated to spend so much for a new one :D

Passingby

Suspended
Dec 17, 2019
Keep it covered up or in the garage until Apple sees it. If the battery breaks open and the lithium comes into contact with oxygen it will explode. The Lithium oxide released from this is poisonous, white and has no odour.

Nic0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
France
I put back the bottom plate and use it only if I have to.
I try to get an appointement asap

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Keep it covered up or in the garage until Apple sees it. If the battery breaks open and the lithium comes into contact with oxygen it will explode. The Lithium oxide released from this is poisonous, white and has no odour.

where is your source of this info ?

MacBookGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2019
There is no guarantee that the butterfly keyboard will fail. I own a 2017 MacBook Pro (non-touch bar) and a 2019 MacBook Air, and I have not had any problems with the butterfly keyboards on either model.

What is the ratio of butterfly keyboard equipped devices sold as opposed to butterfly keyboard problems reported? We are often made aware of the problems without ever hearing from the people who are happy with their devices. This makes the problems seem much more devastating than they truly are.
I've never had a butterfly keyboard without issues. Sounds like people who don't have issues just got really lucky.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Perhaps you got lucky and got a device that will never fail in 50 years.
Or, perhaps many people like you are listening to the number of people suffering a keyboard problem and ignoring the larger number of people who remain silent because they have no issues.

The point is that Apple actually formalized a replacement plan that does not charge the user.
And how many butterfly keyboard laptops do you think Apple would sell if they hadn't initiated the keyboard replacement program? It's more likely that sales of their 2019 butterfly keyboard models would plummet because people are refusing to purchase them.

We'll never know the answers to those questions with any certainty without exact sales vs defects numbers. But, the doomdayers will continue to do what they do - they're so focused on negativity that they search until they find justification to say "I told you so".

I prefer to avoid negativity and enjoy life.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
It's good that you put the bottom cover back on. If the battery expands even more then it is pretty much impossible to put it back on then.

There are advantages to both ways, replacing the battery yourself or taking it in to apple for replacement.
DIY: cheaper, but difficult to remove the battery yourself.
Apple: more expensive, but you get a brand new topcase/keyboard/trackpad

I've swapped many rMBP batteries and the first time it can be challenging. Even with experience it still takes some time.
I just took in a 2015 15" rMBP and topcase was slightly dinged and the right command key was fairly wobbly. I just got it back and the new topcase looks fantastic and all of my keys are great now. It was part of the battery replacement program, which is why I took it in to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.