Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiophile_bear

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
After having issues with my MP5.1 and it not playing the chime anymore, I followed @tsialex instructions and desoldered the SPI flash, then dumped the BootROM. My plan was to verify and flash the dump or reconstruct if corrupted. I extracted the NVRAM section and it still has SON and UUID.

1.PNG

How can I confirm the BootROM is valid without flashing it to a new SPI and soldering it to the board?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
After having issues with my MP5.1 and it not playing the chime anymore, I followed @tsialex instructions and desoldered the SPI flash, then dumped the BootROM. My plan was to verify and flash the dump or reconstruct if corrupted. I extracted the NVRAM section and it still has SON and UUID.

View attachment 1724858

How can I confirm the BootROM is valid without flashing it to a new SPI and soldering it to the board?
Validating all the free space indicators and checksums. See the Intel EFI v1.10 documentation to know how to do it, don't forget the big-endian/little endian.

Btw, there are 7 different hardwareIDs inside the NVRAM volume and MLB sector - you need all to be correct to have iCloud/Messages/FaceTime support.

Reactions: audiophile_bear

audiophile_bear

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Validating all the free space indicators and checksums. See the Intel EFI v1.10 documentation to know how to do it, don't forget the big-endian/little endian.

Btw, there are 7 different hardwareIDs inside the NVRAM volume and MLB sector - you need all to be correct to have iCloud/Messages/FaceTime support.
Appreciate the information. Unfortunately this whole EFI thing is way beyond my knowledge. I took a glimpse at the documentation you mentioned but as it has over 1000 pages and I work about 10h a day, I just don't have the time and patience to read through all of them.

As you seem very experienced I was hoping you could take a look at it, I am willing to compensate you for your time.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Appreciate the information. Unfortunately this whole EFI thing is way beyond my knowledge. I took a glimpse at the documentation you mentioned but as it has over 1000 pages and I work about 10h a day, I just don't have the time and patience to read through all of them.

As you seem very experienced I was hoping you could take a look at it, I am willing to compensate you for your time.
PM sent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.