Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmac049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
I have a mid-2011 iMac with Sierra. I tried to login this morning and it looked like it was going to work but then the graphics got all jumbled and it rebooted...then kept rebooting. Powered it down and restarted and it just got stuck on the rebooting cycle. I tried recovery mode but it would not go through. Just got stuck on a white screen. Tried booting to my Time Machine backup. Stuck on a white screen. Tried to wipe and rebuild to High Sierra using a bootable USB stick. Stuck on a white screen. Is it time to start shopping for a new mac? I have everything backed up. Just wondering if it is my hard drive, like I think it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
You could try resetting the SMC:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
How to reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers
Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve. If you have an iMac Pro, skip to the next section.

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait 15 seconds.
  4. Plug the power cord back in.
  5. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
For Intel-based Xserve computers that aren't responding, you can shut down locally or by using remote commands. You can also press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you have an external bootable source (external hard drive), boot from that and use Disk Utility to do a First Aid on the iMac hard drive. That will tell you if the drive is bad. I had a 2011 iMac that the hard drive failed but I could still boot to recovery with it. A totally failed hard drive will not boot to recovery. It's always best to have a bootable clone on hand - one that you made with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Time Machine is fine for recovering files and being able to boot from it provided the internal hard drive is working.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

jmac049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
If you have an external bootable source (external hard drive), boot from that and use Disk Utility to do a First Aid on the iMac hard drive. That will tell you if the drive is bad. I had a 2011 iMac that the hard drive failed but I could still boot to recovery with it. A totally failed hard drive will not boot to recovery. It's always best to have a bootable clone on hand - one that you made with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Time Machine is fine for recovering files and being able to boot from it provided the internal hard drive is working.
I guess it is dead then. I can't boot from any external drive, the recovery drive, time machine, or a bootable USB. It just goes to a blank white screen every time and eventually reboots over and over again.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I guess it is dead then. I can't boot from any external drive, the recovery drive, time machine, or a bootable USB. It just goes to a blank white screen every time and eventually reboots over and over again.

It’s a long shot, but you could try booting with just one memory stick. Also, if you feel like you are able, perhaps removing the internal hard drive entirely might help. If the drive is failing but not completely dead, maybe it is interfering with the boot process.

jmac049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
It’s a long shot, but you could try booting with just one memory stick. Also, if you feel like you are able, perhaps removing the internal hard drive entirely might help. If the drive is failing but not completely dead, maybe it is interfering with the boot process.
Tried the memory stick and it didn't work. Not sure about my ability to remove the hard drive. I might depending on what Apple says. I made a genius bar appointment. If its too much, I may try it since I have a back-up macbook. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I tried to login this morning and it looked like it was going to work but then the graphics got all jumbled and it rebooted...then kept rebooting. Powered it down and restarted and it just got stuck on the rebooting cycle. I tried recovery mode but it would not go through."

This sounds more like a graphics card or logic board failure to me.

At 7 years old, it's probably not worth the cost of a repair (wouldn't hurt to inquire, anyway).

I'd start looking for a replacement.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas

That's usually the sign of something major has failed, not the hard drive. Even with a failed hard drive you should be able to boot from an external source. Could be a bad logic board or GPU. Make sure you take it to an Apple Store and not an authorized Apple repair service. The genius bar will run diagnostics for free, an authorized Apple repair service will charge for that.

jmac049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
That's usually the sign of something major has failed, not the hard drive. Even with a failed hard drive you should be able to boot from an external source. Could be a bad logic board or GPU. Make sure you take it to an Apple Store and not an authorized Apple repair service. The genius bar will run diagnostics for free, an authorized Apple repair service will charge for that.
Thanks. I'm taking it to an Apple Store near me on Thursday. Here's hoping.

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
Definitely sounds like a failing graphics card or logic board. I have had a fair amount of luck reseating the graphics card on the logic boards on these but I'd say it's probably a hardware failure. You can pick up a replacement graphics card pretty cheap now.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Hello OP,

Like Fishrrman said, it sounds like it could be the graphics card.

Have a read of this thread, and good luck.

Cheers,

Razzerman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.