Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikky2426

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I know that with Optimised battery charging your Mac should try to charge around 80% of the battery and then only use power adapter to run your MacBook Pro. I've a brand new M1 Pro and I noticed that while connected to an external display and power adapter, my laptop charged to 100% not around 80%(should it not have only charged to around 80% and switched to Power Adapter)

I'm just worried about depleting my batter as I usually on desk all day with my laptop connected to power adapter.

As you can see below it says Power Source is Power Adapter and my battery is fully charged. Is this correct to assume that my laptop is now running purely via Power Adapter and my batter is not charged/consumed?

Last edited:

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
dude, power source: power adapter, how more specific you want it? download al dente to keep battery at 80% and thats it

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
The battery isn't charging normally when you're at 100% plugged in. It will charge a little occasionally to keep a full charge.

If you stay plugged in long enough the optimization will kick in and the battery will discharge to 80%. Took a couple weeks for me. But it resets to 100% after you unplug it or update the OS, and then it takes a while for the optimization to kick in again.

Reactions: vikky2426

vikky2426

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
The battery isn't charging normally when you're at 100% plugged in. It will charge a little occasionally to keep a full charge.

If you stay plugged in long enough the optimization will kick in and the battery will discharge to 80%. Took a couple weeks for me. But it resets to 100% after you unplug it or update the OS, and then it takes a while for the optimization to kick in again.
many thanks for your reply. so I guess there isn't much harm to let my laptop plugged in with power adapter all day long. I just hope it doesn't have much negative impact to my battery.

Would you recommend me to charge my batter to say 80% and then unplug power adapter and use laptop on battery? at least this way I'm 100% sure the batter is not gonna be charging. and then once the battery is low then I plug in again?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Sounds like a lot of bother. If it's a big enough concern, the Al Dente software mentioned above might do a better job than the optimized charging of managing it automatically. There's free version that should be enough for that. I haven't tried it myself, but it's popular here.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
many thanks for your reply. so I guess there isn't much harm to let my laptop plugged in with power adapter all day long. I just hope it doesn't have much negative impact to my battery.

Would you recommend me to charge my batter to say 80% and then unplug power adapter and use laptop on battery? at least this way I'm 100% sure the batter is not gonna be charging. and then once the battery is low then I plug in again?

Just get Al Dente paid version, otherwise it still would be charging in a sleep mode. Also make a battery calibration once a week, if you're plugged in 90% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.