Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoXXX1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
I need the Mac for office work and light gaming. I mostly play games like terraria, rimworld and factorio. They all work fine on my 8gb Windows machine. The air is not a gaming pc but it can run older games and 2D games decently. Why get 16? It won’t run newer games, apps like office will be fine with 8gb. Or am I missing something? If I use my pc like this, will it suffice for like 5 years? In my county, the upgrade price For the ram can almost get me an iPad!! It’s more than half it’s price. What will the future proofing in terms of ram get me? Will 8 gb become insufficient for browsing/movies/light gaming/microsoft word?

Last edited:
Reactions: icymountain

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Go for it.

The base model seems more than enough for your needs.

Start saving for 4 years down the road with an M4 and much better graphics and, by then, lots of games will be ARM Native (Windows and Mac)

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I'm a much heavier user than you and 8GB works great for me. I play Starcraft 2, which is very taxing game when played online. M1 chews through the game.

Reactions: FoXXX1

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I have the pro base model and it flies through all the programs you mention. The air will be just as good. I went with the pro only for the brighter screen for my older eyes.

You cannot go wrong with the 8mb of either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.