Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
I just received it as a gift. I charged the battery, put in the CF card, tried to take a picture and it just won't. Also, I am aware that the LCD is supposed to display the settings for the shot, but it is just black. Finally, when I turn it to the off position, the green light still stays on. Does anyone know what is happening?

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
there is a sensor above the screen, check to make sure it is not covered by anything, when it is covered it shuts the screen off to save energy and whatnot...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Check for bent pins or crap inside your CF slot. Try powering WITHOUT the CF card.

Make sure there is no protective "tab" or tape on your battery or contacts.

Remove power entirely - press the "on" button (with no batt or power), and re-install. It's possible it just froze on power-up for whatever reason.

These are "generic" fixes - as I've never owned a Rebel XTi - but have seen similar behavior on other devices...

P.S. Mr. Quest - are you a Venture Brothers fan by any chance? :)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
*Insert pro-Nikon anti-Canon slur here*

What TDI has said pretty much sums up the generic fixes--you may wish to look in the troubleshooting section of your manual (if you haven't already) and then online to see if there are any bad batches of the Rebel (check canonusa.com).

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Ok so I powered on the camera without the CF card and I could take pictures...I don't get it. Do I need another CF card or something?

By the way- thanks for helping me out!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Do CF cards have that "write-lock" button/switch on them? My SD cards do - never owned a CF though.

Check for that.

Format the card for the camera is necessary.

Perhaps it's a defective card?

P.S. You're welcome. Now answer my damn Venture Brothers question and have a Merry Christmas.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Ok so I powered on the camera without the CF card and I could take pictures...I don't get it. Do I need another CF card or something?

Sounds like it. If you have another one lying around, try that one (isolate the problem). Otherwise take it into a camera store tomorrow and ask if you can borrow one of theirs--they should have some sitting around--and see if it works.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
How do I format the CF card?

...and since my name is John, I thought JohnnyQuest was funny. I did once have a Johnny Quest action figure!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
That's a RTFM thing (Read The Fricken Manual) as I'm not sure. But you might stumble across it in your camera menu. (under "Format Card or Utilities")

Also check the capacity of your card. If you bought some ungodly huge card - it might be TOO big for your camera. (depending on what memory addressing your camera has, it might not be able to see a card over 2G or 4G, 8G, ect...)

My old Nikon did this when I attempted to put a 4G SD card into it. That camera is 2 years old, so chew on that fact as well.

And again, check that the "write protection switch" isn't flipped if your card has one, and also verify that the pins aren't bent or broken.

Edit: Venture Brothers general theme parodies Johnny Quest. Part of the reason why I love that show. All the grand dreams of back then, of super-futuristic hi-technology / space exploring cultures -- Ultimate grand let-downs.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
There's no switch on it, the pins aren't broken, and I'm going to read the manual right now.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
There's no switch on it, the pins aren't broken, and I'm going to read the manual right now.

Good luck. I'm off to go deal with my family. Christmas. :p

PM me if you need any extra help - I can offer a tiny amount more - but this well is pretty much dried up. (help wise)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.